Is GPS in 2011 Expedition any good?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scott216

Reaction score
I'll be buying a 2011 Expedition this winter and I'd like to know what people think of the GPS. I have a Garmin Nuvi 760 (almost 3 yrs old) which is pretty good, but doesn't even route as good as Google maps. When I'm in friend's cars with built-in GPS I am always unimpressed. I haven't seen any really good built-in GPS yet - granted I haven't seen them all. Is Ford's any good? I herd the Sync Turn-by-Turn is not so hot.

Scott

rick chitown

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not sure where you heard Sync is not very good, as I have it in my '10 Ltd and like it alot! This is compared to the navigation in a couple different German cars, two different Japanese cars and two different garmin's. Granted both German car's were older technology... one was an '05, one an '06 and the problem I have found with garmin's is that they will ultimately get you to you destination, but it may be after a few unnecessary turns or streets.

The Sync navigation is better than that of a toyota, or lexus (although probably the same guts in those two cars)... I have found the graphics to be state of the art, with the 3D or "eagle eye" earning the most praise from those riding with me. The turn-by-turn aspect is even more impressive, with a split screen view that counts down from a mile and then a 1/4mi. It seems to get me there everytime, and seemingly without any unnecessary roads. But again, I guess I'm not sure about that last part.

The most important thing to me in navigation in a car these days is that it is integrated into the dash, in fact, I've even retro-fitted into my wife's last car and another car I have. I just cannot stand things stuck to the windshield. Also, with an '11 Sync system, they have made continued updates/ improvements to it since introduction and it was pretty impressive then. So, there you go.... good luck.

OP
OP
S

scott216

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I heard on this forum and the fordsyncforum.com that the turn-by-turn wasn't very good. I'm glad to hear you like it so much.

thevalleyboy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The problem with Factory Nav is they are a pain in the future when you want to upgrade and eventually they simply look old... my 2006 Nav looks old - is old - and garbage compared to my $70 dollar Tom Tom - hell you cannot even buy a new map set for that - do yourself a favour buy a cheap GPS and replace it every now and then, and if you want to spend the money buy the high end non-nav head unit.