Is it worth it to install a remote starter in the 3rd gen models?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommyddsr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm interested in installing one myself in a 2009. Do you have a link for the one you installed? Was it very hard to install and about how long did it take. Of course right now I have no where to go and plenty of time. Thanks.

Mark D

Reaction score
I live in WI where we get temperature extremes: well below zero in the winter and up to 100 in the summer. In the winter, my heater and heated seats are warming me within 2 miles from home (about 3 minutes). Same with cooling in the summer. If I had a remote starter I doubt I would ever use it.

It seem to me like one of the dumbest ideas unless you have some underlying health condition that prevents you from being able to scrape your icy windows in the winter for the following reasons.
1 It wastes fuel
2 It wastes money
3 It is harmful for the environment, spewing extra exhaust unnecessarily.
4 It is harmful to the engine - it is best for the engine to be in motion as quickly as possible after starting the engine to ensure the best lubrication.
5 It wastes time - I watch co-workers start their engines and then wait for their vehicle to warm up for 5-10 minutes before leaving work. I can be half way home in that amount of time.

I can think of a lot better ways to spend my money.

OP
OP
07navi

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I live in WI where we get temperature extremes: well below zero in the winter and up to 100 in the summer. In the winter, my heater and heated seats are warming me within 2 miles from home (about 3 minutes). Same with cooling in the summer. If I had a remote starter I doubt I would ever use it.

It seem to me like one of the dumbest ideas unless you have some underlying health condition that prevents you from being able to scrape your icy windows in the winter for the following reasons.
1 It wastes fuel
2 It wastes money
3 It is harmful for the environment, spewing extra exhaust unnecessarily.
4 It is harmful to the engine - it is best for the engine to be in motion as quickly as possible after starting the engine to ensure the best lubrication.
5 It wastes time - I watch co-workers start their engines and then wait for their vehicle to warm up for 5-10 minutes before leaving work. I can be half way home in that amount of time.

I can think of a lot better ways to spend my money.
I don't agree with any of the above plus my doors freeze shut.

Drae

Full Access Members
Reaction score

I hope you are joking about this one lol. You do not want to go revving a cold engine. There is an operating temp for a reason. There are thermostats in the engine and transmission for that reason. Also a cold engine is running a little rich in open loop mode. You can't feel how sluggish the vehicle is until it hits a certain temperature?

OP
OP
07navi

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score

I hope you are joking about this one lol. You do not want to go revving a cold engine. There is an operating temp for a reason. There are thermostats in the engine and transmission for that reason. Also a cold engine is running a little rich in open loop mode. You can't feel how sluggish the vehicle is until it hits a certain temperature?
Some jobs like the railroad idle their engines for hours. Not a big deal for 5 or 10 minutes in the winter when you need it. My next truck will definitely have remote start.

Drae

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Some jobs like the railroad idle their engines for hours. Not a big deal for 5 or 10 minutes in the winter when you need it. My next truck will definitely have remote start.

For the colder days in Alaska it's at least 25 minutes. I use it when it's not cold also for about 3 to 5 minutes to let the oil circulate, let all the sensors and valves operate, make sure no check engine light suddenly pop up and to bring the idle down.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Some jobs like the railroad idle their engines for hours.
Funny you should mention that. When I was working on calls, the truck was never shut off. It ran for my entire tour, even when I was in the office. That's how railroads work. Without the worry of fuel costs, trucks are seldom shut down, just like the locomotives.