Is there a trim that always has the towing package?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikmeh

Reaction score
I'm looking at newer Expeditions in EL or Max trim with the 6cy turbo motor and the only thing I care about is the towing package. Thinking about selling my 2000 Excursion and going to an Expedition to tow our TT (6200 dry - 7500lbs max loaded).

What's the easiest way to tell if it has the towing package from ads that don't explicitly state that? Will it have a brake controller or do they all do? I know it would have a trans cooler but no one ever takes pics of that.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For 2015 through 2017 models, all Limited and above trims have it. For 2018, the special edition models had it, but I'm not sure which years that trim was offered. Easiest way to find out is to search a used car site for vehicles with special edition trim and check photos for the brake controller to the right of the steering wheel.

Last edited:

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Also, even though the 15-17 Limited trims come with HD trailer tow, that does not include the 3:73 axle or limited slip. My 2017 Standard 4x4 came with 3:31 open differential (bought it off the lot). For the Towing that I do - open car trailer with total weight of 6600 - I am actually glad that I ended up with the 3:31 rear as I'm getting between 12.5 and 12.8 mpg when towing on 93 octane. if you don't know the axle codes the ones for the 17 is listed below.

1657549054735.png