IWE Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drjeff

Reaction score
I have a 2018 Expedition XLT and I just had to replace the IWEs after 26500 miles. There is a TSB report number 19-2252 that explains the cause and procedure for replacing. This is after replacing 5 shocks, taillight lens, second row seat, and reinstalling SYNC. I am rebuilding....

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2018 Expedition XLT and I just had to replace the IWEs after 26500 miles. There is a TSB report number 19-2252 that explains the cause and procedure for replacing. This is after replacing 5 shocks, taillight lens, second row seat, and reinstalling SYNC. I am rebuilding....

You said you had to replace the IWEs?

Wasn’t the work covered under the new car or power train warranty?

OP
OP
D

drjeff

Reaction score
The IWE is the Integrated Wheel End. There is the vacuum system that keeps the transmission in 2WD. The default is 4WD and if the vacuum system begins to fail, IWEs make contact trying to go into 4WD. You hear a brief grinding sound upon startup. The IWEs begin to wear out from the contact.

Tmg115

Reaction score
The IWE is the Integrated Wheel End. There is the vacuum system that keeps the transmission in 2WD. The default is 4WD and if the vacuum system begins to fail, IWEs make contact trying to go into 4WD. You hear a brief grinding sound upon startup. The IWEs begin to wear out from the contact.

What type of ass backwards design is that??? What ever happened to the good old actuator in the transfer case

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
pretty sure they've been like this forever on the Expy... I know my 05 had this as well. I wonder what they changed on them over the years. I never had a problem with my 05, nor my 17.

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What type of ass backwards design is that??? What ever happened to the good old actuator in the transfer case

The transfer case still has the actuator and clutches. The IWEs disengage the wheel so they the front drive shaft and diff do not rotate and reduce fuel economy (you still end up with minor rotation).

But you are right, why would you still use vacuum in this era! Problematic and cheap design.

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
The transfer case still has the actuator and clutches. The IWEs disengage the wheel so they the front drive shaft and diff do not rotate and reduce fuel economy (you still end up with minor rotation).

But you are right, why would you still use vacuum in this era! Problematic and cheap design.

I disagree.... I have a combined 200K plus miles on these with my trucks. Never had a problem. Granted, I don't know if they changed the design on the 18 and up though.

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I disagree.... I have a combined 200K plus miles on these with my trucks. Never had a problem. Granted, I don't know if they changed the design on the 18 and up though.

The design didn’t change much. There is a check valve that fails and allows the hub to lose vacuum.

You just got lucky. When the time comes to fix an air leak in the system, you will know what I mean :))

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65