Jack stand placement when doing brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zap Rowsdower

Reaction score
This is a pretty lame question but when I jacked up the 04 the other day I had the most difficult time getting the rear passenger side high enough to get the tire off of the vehicle. When I was able to get it high enough it looked it the majority of the weight was on the driver side of the vehicle as the front passenger side tire was almost off the ground.
I had the floor jack placed on the frame pretty much right in the end of the rear passenger side door. I then place my jack stand slightly to the left of it on the frame. I didn't feel comfortable working on the vehicle with how it was raised.
So, as I opened with this being a lame topic, where is the best place to jack UP the vehicle and where is the best place to put the jack stands. I'd like to get location for both the front and rear.
-Rowsdower

OP
OP
Z

Zap Rowsdower

Reaction score
I’d also like to point out that the owner’s manual doesn’t say where exactly jack up the vehicle. All it shows is an image of the Expedition and arrows where to jack it up at. I used that as a reference point to jack up the rear and I still didn’t feel comfortable once the vehicle was in the air.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I lift it all the time on a lift...I use those arrows and it stay balanced for my oil change...anti-sway bar upgrade...and wheel work

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you do not feel comfortable with the expy on jacks then I would suggest you either stay out from under it or take it to a shop to have someone work on the expy the following is the recommended jacking procedure

Jacking
WARNING: The electrical power to the air suspension system must be shut down prior to hoisting, jacking or towing an air suspension vehicle. This can be accomplished by turning off the air suspension switch located in the LH rear quarter trim panel area. Failure to do so can result in unexpected inflation or deflation of the air springs, which can result in shifting of the vehicle during these operations.

WARNING: Do not run the engine when jacking the vehicle. The wheels contacting the ground could cause the vehicle to move.

WARNING: Support the vehicle prior to carrying out any procedure requiring the vehicle to be jacked off the ground.

WARNING: Make sure the jack and jack stands are correctly located to prevent the vehicle from falling.

WARNING: Wheel chocks should be used to prevent the vehicle from rolling and falling off the jack.

CAUTION: Never use a halfshaft as a lifting point.

CAUTION: If equipped with retractable running board, disable the system through the instrument cluster controls.

Jacking Points — Front

The front jacking point is indicated by an arrow cutout in the frame, located behind the front tire and wheel assembly.

Jacking Points — Rear

CAUTION: Do not use the differential housing as a lift point. Leaks or damage to the rear axle cover and adjoining differential housing surface can occur if a floor jack or any lifting device is allowed to contact the cover at any point where the cover joins the housing.

CAUTION: Do not use the rear control arms as a lifting point.

The rear jacking point is indicated by an arrow cutout in the frame, located in front of the rear tire and wheel assembly.

robertcope

Reaction score
How can I both jack from that point and put a jack stand there? Both objects cannot occupy the same space... as far as I know. This is always my issue when trying to follow the factory recommendations. I need a lift.

robert

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How can I both jack from that point and put a jack stand there? Both objects cannot occupy the same space... as far as I know. This is always my issue when trying to follow the factory recommendations. I need a lift.

robert

I would like to see the answer to that question myself. I think I know the answer but I don't want to show my ignorance if I'm wrong. :smile:

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would like to see the answer to that question myself. I think I know the answer but I don't want to show my ignorance if I'm wrong. :smile:

same here but I will venture a answer jack at the arrows then place wooden blocks close to the jacking point lower the jack just enough so the frame rests on the blocks yet the jack is still is under the arrow

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well this advice is a bit skewed because I use a floor jack on all of the trucks (including an 04 belonging to my folks) but I always jack it up on the a-arm, and then lower it down on a jack stand about 8 inches in front of where the frame curves to go over the rear suspension.

If i had to use the scissor jack to change a tire in the 04 or something, I would use the same procedure.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
u can place the jack back from the point to where theres enough room for the stand...when u reach desired height...place the stands...BOOM!!!

OP
OP
Z

Zap Rowsdower

Reaction score
If you do not feel comfortable with the expy on jacks then I would suggest you either stay out from under it or take it to a shop to have someone work on the expy the following is the recommended jacking procedure

Jacking
WARNING: The electrical power to the air suspension system must be shut down prior to hoisting, jacking or towing an air suspension vehicle. This can be accomplished by turning off the air suspension switch located in the LH rear quarter trim panel area. Failure to do so can result in unexpected inflation or deflation of the air springs, which can result in shifting of the vehicle during these operations.

WARNING: Do not run the engine when jacking the vehicle. The wheels contacting the ground could cause the vehicle to move.

WARNING: Support the vehicle prior to carrying out any procedure requiring the vehicle to be jacked off the ground.

WARNING: Make sure the jack and jack stands are correctly located to prevent the vehicle from falling.

WARNING: Wheel chocks should be used to prevent the vehicle from rolling and falling off the jack.

CAUTION: Never use a halfshaft as a lifting point.

CAUTION: If equipped with retractable running board, disable the system through the instrument cluster controls.

Jacking Points — Front

The front jacking point is indicated by an arrow cutout in the frame, located behind the front tire and wheel assembly.

Jacking Points — Rear

CAUTION: Do not use the differential housing as a lift point. Leaks or damage to the rear axle cover and adjoining differential housing surface can occur if a floor jack or any lifting device is allowed to contact the cover at any point where the cover joins the housing.

CAUTION: Do not use the rear control arms as a lifting point.

The rear jacking point is indicated by an arrow cutout in the frame, located in front of the rear tire and wheel assembly.

I'll have to look under the vehicle again for these arrow cutouts.
Do these points on the SUV make it to where it is not leaning almost to one side (what I was experiencing)?
Thanks everyone for the comments.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wiscoford