just added idatalink Maestro for my sync

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

atmasters

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I went for a DNX7120HD Kenwood navigation head unit and decided to go for the idatalink Maestro that would keep all my factory Sync up and running.Well my first impression is that it might have been a wast of money. I did not retain my sat radio I have a 2011 so if anyone is thinking of getting the idatalink beware and I can not add it to my deck since there is no more ports for Sat radio so that is a piss off. But everything else works well.

12V Guy

Reaction score
Hi,

Not sure what radio model a 7120HD is. It seems like very old unit - not Maestro compatible. However, if you had opted for one of this year's radios - DNX570HD, DNX690HD, or DNX890HD then those models have dedicated ports to install Maestro and you can add the SXV200 satellite tuner to your package.

You also get some cool screens for Tire pressure monitoring and gauges and the integration with Sync is a bit better (you can access all the Sync Menus and browse your media library on the screen).

In any case, we'd like you to be happy!

Best,
12V Guy

OP
OP
A

atmasters

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi,

Not sure what radio model a 7120HD is. It seems like very old unit - not Maestro compatible. However, if you had opted for one of this year's radios - DNX570HD, DNX690HD, or DNX890HD then those models have dedicated ports to install Maestro and you can add the SXV200 satellite tuner to your package.

You also get some cool screens for Tire pressure monitoring and gauges and the integration with Sync is a bit better (you can access all the Sync Menus and browse your media library on the screen).

In any case, we'd like you to be happy!

Best,
12V Guy

Well I would not call it very old it is the line up before the units you mentioned. But yes those are just coming out now. The 7190HD was Idatalink compatible that is what Kenwood was advertising on there website that is how I came to know about this product but it is not very good at all.

Last edited:

12V Guy

Reaction score
Woops I said DNX7120 I have the DNX7190HD

Sorry you are not happy, but I don't think that means the product is no good. Since it seems you are a Satellite Radio user, you would have been much happier with one of the 2013 models as I mentioned before. Many people have used Maestro with Sync and are quite pleased. Perhaps we could help you better understand the way the product works. In any case, we hope we can help.

12V Guy

1koerner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
can u not add in a fm mod to make ur sat work I know the quality isn't the best but its a thought if im wrong about this 12V guy let me know I don't use sat radio but it has worked for other HU in the past

if u would like to upgrade to a newer kenwood HU I will try to give u a super discount on 1

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

atmasters

Full Access Members
Reaction score
can u not add in a fm mod to make ur sat work I know the quality isn't the best but its a thought if im wrong about this 12V guy let me know I don't use sat radio but it has worked for other HU in the past

if u would like to upgrade to a newer kenwood HU I will try to give u a super discount on 1

yes I could add Sat radio that way but it would not be synced to the head unit.I might be looking into upgrading in the future but cant spend the money to upgrade right now as I just payed a lot for this HU.

OP
OP
A

atmasters

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry you are not happy, but I don't think that means the product is no good. Since it seems you are a Satellite Radio user, you would have been much happier with one of the 2013 models as I mentioned before. Many people have used Maestro with Sync and are quite pleased. Perhaps we could help you better understand the way the product works. In any case, we hope we can help.

12V Guy

12 Guy I am not unhappy with the Kenwood deck but I guess I thought I would gain much more then what I got with adding the Maestro. I do understand that this years models are better and I am guessing next year model will be even better and so on. For the 2011 Expedition you dont really get much for the coast to add it. Yes I get to keep the mike that is already installed and the Bluetooth but when you stream your audio you do not get the information on the songs you are streaming, you cant control your music when streaming. Yes you do not keep your SAT radio in the expedition. I did not have Nav and did not want the ford OEM Nav but you can not control nav with voice ? I dont know if that was even an option. You are right though 12Vguy there is nothing out there that will keep sync but maybe it is that Sync sucks in the expedition.I guess for me I bit the bullet and tried Maestro with the DNX 7190HD that is advertised to work with Maestro and it does work but you are very limited with what you will gain. Will there be updates for Maestro that people that have installed this on last years HU that will be able to get some more of the features? More so for us Expedition owners? Maybe need a little more education for you that would really help me now and in the future :)

12V Guy

Reaction score
12 Guy I am not unhappy with the Kenwood deck but I guess I thought I would gain much more then what I got with adding the Maestro. I do understand that this years models are better and I am guessing next year model will be even better and so on. For the 2011 Expedition you dont really get much for the coast to add it. Yes I get to keep the mike that is already installed and the Bluetooth but when you stream your audio you do not get the information on the songs you are streaming, you cant control your music when streaming. Yes you do not keep your SAT radio in the expedition. I did not have Nav and did not want the ford OEM Nav but you can not control nav with voice ? I dont know if that was even an option. You are right though 12Vguy there is nothing out there that will keep sync but maybe it is that Sync sucks in the expedition.I guess for me I bit the bullet and tried Maestro with the DNX 7190HD that is advertised to work with Maestro and it does work but you are very limited with what you will gain. Will there be updates for Maestro that people that have installed this on last years HU that will be able to get some more of the features? More so for us Expedition owners? Maybe need a little more education for you that would really help me now and in the future :)

Hi,

Not sure what you mean. If you price out any competitive solution to interface with your steering wheel controls, and provide navigation outputs from the vehicle bus, you will see that you did not pay too much of a premium to also retain sync. You may have needed to already be a Sync user and understand what it does and what it does not do in order for you to see what Maestro does for you.

Here are some answers to your points:

1. Bluetooth Meta Data - Not supported by Sync until much later versions of SYNC. However, you can control the streaming with voice, steering wheel buttons and the on-screen controls. Next/Previous track and play/pause controls are available.

2. Controlling Navi by voice - This is not an option in Kenwood 7190. If it was, you'd still need to install the Kenwood mic for it to work.

3. Phone interface - got much better than before Maestro was installed. You can still dial by voice (press and hold the VOICE button) or you can go to the phone screen and see your phonebook, call logs and direct dial.

4. Sat Radio - Cannot be retained and cannot be added back as the 7190 connects to Maestro via the SXI port. No other interface can properly retain sat in your truck either. Pre-2011 it was possible for some vehicles. This limitation is one reason the Kenwood head units changed for 2013.

5. Steering wheel controls - Can be completely customized on website and each button can do two things - Press and press and hold. This is very handy and is a Maestro exclusive feature.

Anyhow, hope this is helpful..

Best,

12V Guy