King Ranch 20” wheel upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LoneStarLoner

Reaction score
C6284A43-D6FA-47F8-87A8-0BBA65E2D73F.jpeg Finally found a cheap enough set of 3rd Gen King Ranch 20” wheels. I was looking for just the wheels but these came off an F-150 with 275/65/20 Michelin’s. The rep at Discount Tire said they have about 20-25k left on them so I’m just going to run them until it’s time for some new 275/55/20’s. It looks a little off with the larger profile and rubs slightly at full turn but all in all they came out great. Didn’t notice too much difference in the ride but handling seems to have improved slightly. Next up is replacing that horrible DVD player in the back. :D

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You didn't say if your King ranch is 4 wheel or 2 wheel drive? If 4 wheel you can put a small lift on it like mine and it will clear. If 2 wheel drive you still should be able to lift it to help with the rubbing. I'm running one size up 285/50r20 and mine doesn't rub. It's lifted slightly though. Something to ponder, rubbing/scraping tires is never cool. You don't want to find out that one of your tires is scuffed badly, and goes out on you at the worse time.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
L

LoneStarLoner

Reaction score
Hey Moose,

You’re right about rubbing tires. I was actually going to research some options for giving it a slight lift in the front. It’s a 2 wheel drive model and I want to make sure I go the right route on a slight lift. Really cool to know that your 285’s don’t rub! Thanks for the info!

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
But keep in mind, mine is 4x4. Simplest way to raise it would be air shocks. It may make ride choppy though. I'm sure theirs better options. Do you have struts or shocks up front?

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
L

LoneStarLoner

Reaction score
After further inspection, it seems like it’s rubbing the control arm at full lock. No plastic or wheel well is being rubbed. I’m wondering if it’s due to the inch difference from the 7.5 stock wheel to the 8.5 KR wheel? I didn’t have that problem with the stick wheels. I wouldn’t imagine 265-275 making that much of a difference. If a 265/60/20 will work I’ll go that route but if not I’ll probably just go back to stock because I don’t want any rubbing issues like that. The two sizes are interchangeable on later years from the factory but it might be do to the engineering of the second gen as to why it’s rubbing with the KR 20’s.

BillAlex

Reaction score
The new wheels really set off your Truck. Looks Great. Just curious though, how much more are you looking at for 20's as opposed to stock tires with Michelin?

OP
OP
L

LoneStarLoner

Reaction score
Hey Bill, thank you! They do give the truck a different appearance. I’m not sure I understand what you’re asking as far as how much more I’m looking at? Do you mean cost?

OP
OP
L

LoneStarLoner

Reaction score
Also, had the truck at my mechanics the other day to get a window regulator replaced and he checked out the wheels on his lift. Apparently I can’t see worth a darn because the wheels aren’t hitting anything but the inner fender well slightly which is due to the body shop not repairing it right when I had an accident a few years ago. A couple of quick zip ties and the problem is fixed, no wheel rub at all!!! It does look off with the 65 profile but I’m gonna use them til I need to replace them. The 275/55/20 is the virtually the exact same size as the stock 265/70/17 so I’ll be getting those when it’s tkme for new tires.