King Ranch - 2020 Exped! How do I get the little extra.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattback

Reaction score
Looking for the info to get that extra. Even 10hp makes a diff. Huge ford car/truck event coming up. I’m taking the seats out and basically leave what’s needed to run.

I also found the raptor has same engine, tuned and added aftermarket intake, and plugs, exhaust.

Can it be done?? Is the real question.

apex96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you saying you have it tuned already? Have you worked with your tuner to tailor the tune to your preference (drag racing)?

You can install street legal drag radials on all four corners with light weight drag racing specific rims.

Pull out the spare tire and all tools from the trunk to lower weight further.

OP
OP
mattback

mattback

Reaction score
@apex96 not tuned yet, I’ve been running sparks that’s it. I want to know if you can increase boost with what is available in the Betty. They have same as platinum, but tuned. How is it tuned?

apex96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ve run both 5star and now ZFG on ecoboost engines. The short answer is yes, it is possible to run more boost pressure with a tune. Long answer is that most reputable tuners aren’t going to go beyond the original factory safeguards. There is a limit to the amount of boost that can be generated before the factory safeguards open up the waste gate to relieve boost pressure.

Texas

Reaction score
I have the same question, finding no answers. I just want my KR output the same as the Platinum eco boost. Same engine, same components, what’s the difference?

Just a factory tune? Will Ford recalibrate the KR system to match that of the Platinum if requested? I went with the KR bc I didn’t want the CCD suspension, but I want the power bump - not looking for 100+ HP, just whatever the Platinum came out of the factory with.

BP 09

Reaction score
No, Ford will not write a Platinum PCM file over your existing non-platinum file. There is a lot of information out there that can be confusing.

What I have gathered is Platinum PCM programming might be slightly different and the ratings are using 91 octane most likely. If you put 91 or 93 octane in your non-platinum, your numbers won't be far off from a Platinum.

When you get into the Raptor/Limited F150/Stealth Expedition side of things, the engine itself, while the same displacement and externally identical, has different pistons, lower compression, oil cooling jets under the pistons, and different PCM programming at a minimum. I could be forgetting some other differences.

I have been looking to compare a platinum PCM file with my XLT file using HP Tuners, but have yet to find one to actually see the differences. That said, a few minutes with an MPVI3 from HP Tuners and a few table adjustments, you can easily get that extra 20 whatever horsepower from your stock file if you don't mind watching some Youtube videos, playing on the HP Tuners forum, and doing some reading on tuning.

If your willing to spend that money anyways, just save yourself a headache and time and just go get a tune/tuner from Gearhead, ZFG, or Boostking. You'll gain way more power and you won't sacrifice reliability. I have tried basically all of the big tuning companies out there and can say that Gearhead's newest stuff is perfect out of the box and needs no revisions if your looking for simplicity and the best refinement. ZFG and Boostking offer more of a "custom" experience with multiple revisions made to get the truck feeling how you want. MPT is also well liked. I would stay away from 5-Star unless your going to tow, but that's just personal preference. Many people enjoy their tunes.

Good luck.