Knock, Knock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

car54

Reaction score
OK I need a little help. Recently I have started to hear a loud knock from the rear wheel well area when turning sharply or backing up and turning . Not all the time just on occasion. Sounds like someone(thing) hitting the underside of the body with a hammer, just once - but very loud. I have checked the normal things, sway bar, shock mounts, etc. Everything seems ok, anyone have any ideas?

trdragons44

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the same problem on a 2002+2003 F250 both 5.4L, One 4X4 the other not. Usually happens when i hit the brake then start moving again (like a stop light). Just one loud THUD that i can feel on the floor board.:troll:

OP
OP
C

car54

Reaction score
Yup - sounds like the same thing, you are right about feeling it on the floor. I am going to try and get mine up on a hoist this week and double check all sway bar, shock, etc bushings maybe give them a dose of silcone spray and see if that makes a difference

OP
OP
C

car54

Reaction score
Found it
Appears the bushing in the sway bar mount is shot and discovered sway bar about ready to fall off its mount! So I will replace it tonight and hopefully that will cure the knock.

OP
OP
C

car54

Reaction score
Yup, found the rear sway bar link hanging like a limp d##k. $19.99 from NAPA for a repair kit - new poly bushings and new bolts, spacers, nuts, etc and about 20 mins and it was cured.