knocking noise at start up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jbetschart

Reaction score
When I first start the expedition up I notice a knocking noise. Then once I apply gas and it runs the engine up the noise goes away.

I noticed it was after I got my oil changed. The oil was not low but 5-20 was used.

This last time I changed my oil I put 10-30 in and tried to add something for the knocking but it still seems to be there.

Any ideas?

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
happens with me. its a sticking valve. ive always had it. when its warm out its fine. but when its cold its really bad. i think its lack of oil. but ive tryed a lot of things. just for me when its cold and the engine is cold it dose it.

joezek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Phasers? What is that? Also, I've never heard a valve make a "knocking" noise.

Normally knocking at startup is from a lack of oil in the crankshaft combined with main or rod bearings that have a lot of mileage on them. Sometimes if you have an oil filter without an anti-drain back valve it will let the filter empty out. Then when you start it you have zero oil pressure until the filter fills up just like after changing your oil. My truck has made a knocking sound immediately first startup after changing the oil. I have 139,000 miles.

I normally use only factory Ford/Motorcraft filters, -or- I really like to use Purolator "Pure One" filters. I think they're the only oil filter that claims to filter particles down to less than 20 microns using the more strict one pass filter testing standards. Bobistheoilguy.com is the best place to get that info.

fiveohpoepoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
happens with me. its a sticking valve. ive always had it. when its warm out its fine. but when its cold its really bad. i think its lack of oil. but ive tryed a lot of things. just for me when its cold and the engine is cold it dose it.

X2. My old 98 with 167k did it. My 99 with 119k did it and my current 98 with 119k does it. No problems and it will be more noticeable when its cold[fall/winter] until it warms up

ghettoracer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine does the same thing also, but I also noticed if I add a fuel additive with 89 octane, it doesnt do it until the next fill up.

98Sexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine does it, its not even really cold here in the mornings yet. Only mid 50's..if that cold. I mean its not like diesel startup loud, but its there. I definitely hear it, but nothing to worry about really. I use Valvoline High Mileage synthetic 10w-30, Fram filter... 102k on the odometer.

seeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine does it, its not even really cold here in the mornings yet. Only mid 50's..if that cold. I mean its not like diesel startup loud, but its there. I definitely hear it, but nothing to worry about really. I use Valvoline High Mileage synthetic 10w-30, Fram filter... 102k on the odometer.

Just a quick note here. I worked at a dealership-not ford- and the same thing would happen. Turned out 90% of the time switching to an oem oil filter stopped the problem. Worth a try.:D