Lack of acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Miles Walcott

Reaction score
2004 Expedition XLT 5.4.
260k miles

When driving on a flat road no real issues, except when I try to accelerate hard. It won’t shift and stops trying to accelerate past 3k rpm. Up hill, regardless of weather, temp, ac on or off, it won’t accelerate past whatever speed I’m going. For example, let’s say I’m going 45mph, once I hit the hill, it won’t go past 45mph and may start losing speed.

Replaced trans filter, and one of the solenoids, new fuel filter, new range sensor (replaced twice, once with an generic brand the second time with motor craft part). Ironically enough, the problem started shortly after replacing the range sensor.

Just need some ideas. My Expy may be old and ran thru (got it from Copart) but solid otherwise

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, fuel pressure looks good. What lead you to replace the trans range sensor ? Were you getting any DTC codes ? Any now ?

OP
OP
M

Miles Walcott

Reaction score
I originally had a DTC for the TRS. I replaced it and that’s when the problems Started. However I replaced it again and still have the same problem. Basically up to the point where I had the code for the TRS…I had no issues.

OP
OP
M

Miles Walcott

Reaction score
It was weird though I just had a check engine light come because of that sensor but drivability didn’t change, Clear the check engine light and it definitely came back which is what led me to change the sensor

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can you tell if the tranny is kicking down out of overdrive when you're trying to accelerate ? Or if you manually hit the overdrive button on the shifter and kick it out yourself ? I assume you have the TRS properly adjusted right ? Reverse lights come on properly when you put the shifter in reverse, and it starts as it should in Park or Neutral ?

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A long shot, but please check for dragging brakes.....

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni