largest rubber

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
lastExpo, there are a few different ideas here, so, follow me on this.

If you want to be garanteed no rubbing at all, then 285/70R17's is about as big as you can go with no suspension modifications.

Now, depending on the offset/backspacing of the rims, you can possibly get away with 295/70R17's. Some members have had good luck with this, some have rubbing issues.

If you just want to stick on the road and don't plan on twisting the truck up at all, then you can fit 315/70R17's. But, with this tire setup, I can garantee that you will end up with rubbing even doing simple things like going out of a driveway with a large curb at the end or trying to make a sharp turn on to a road that is starting to head up a hill.

Now, keep in mind that I am assuming rubbing under the most extreme of conditions (ie, a wheel in the air with 2 other tires pushed into the body at the worst position of the steering wheel) with no modifications. If you don't drive your truck that way, then the options open up slightly. If you are willing to make some minor modifications, the options also open up.

What are you wanting and what are you willing to do to get it?

OP
OP
LastExpo2000

LastExpo2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
lastExpo, there are a few different ideas here, so, follow me on this.

If you want to be garanteed no rubbing at all, then 285/70R17's is about as big as you can go with no suspension modifications.

Now, depending on the offset/backspacing of the rims, you can possibly get away with 295/70R17's. Some members have had good luck with this, some have rubbing issues.

If you just want to stick on the road and don't plan on twisting the truck up at all, then you can fit 315/70R17's. But, with this tire setup, I can garantee that you will end up with rubbing even doing simple things like going out of a driveway with a large curb at the end or trying to make a sharp turn on to a road that is starting to head up a hill.

Now, keep in mind that I am assuming rubbing under the most extreme of conditions (ie, a wheel in the air with 2 other tires pushed into the body at the worst position of the steering wheel) with no modifications. If you don't drive your truck that way, then the options open up slightly. If you are willing to make some minor modifications, the options also open up.

What are you wanting and what are you willing to do to get it?

I'm more than likely going to go with the 5" trailmaster lift sometime next year and didnt want to buy new rims. Could I run 35x12.50's or something equivalent to that on 17x9's?

SourMashII

Full Access Members
Reaction score
if you match the rim size and tire width, e.g. 12" wide rims, and 13.50 wide tires...

It makes your 37's stand at 35".. :supergay: Ask me how I know.... :emotions122:

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
Lastexpo, for the moment, no, you could not run those as the 9" wide rims is going to push the tires out a little too far and this is going to result in major rubbing even on minor bumps on both the front and rear of the truck. If you ran 8" wide rims, then you can get away. But, that 1" makes all the difference. I ran 35x12.5's on my truck for a month before I put the lift on. So, I know exactly how tight it is.