Leather peeling off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Plummertm

Reaction score
Not sure how to even explain this.
2019 Ford Expedition
In 2020, the third rows thread was dissolved from some thick dark red chemical. We lifted the third row and the leather completely fell off. Took it in for a diagnostic (all they did was take photos) and Ford deemed it our fault for chemical spill so we spent over $1500 to get it fixed and detailed because of the odor.
Now in 2021, it is doing the same stuff. I haven't had any chemicals in my car. Mind you, whatever it is, it is also eating the red part of the seat belt buckle clip. Ford sent in images and now we wait. But Noone has actually used their hands to figure anything our, just taking photos.

Any idea what it could be? It has am order for sure, it's not eating the leather, just the thread and the red parts of the buckle. Ford doesn't seem to want to actually find the underlying issue

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
The third row seat is completely vinyl. The only leather is on the first and second row "seating surfaces". The sides and backs of those as well as the headrests are vinyl also.

Perhaps you can research the causes of vinyl delamination from its backing. I'm aware that some acid fumes have caused this, like sitting a wet cell battery on the floor in the back.