Leaving running boards deployed - pros and cons

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wangle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Follow-up, according to the 2020 Owners Manual, if deployed, the running boards will return to the stowed position when the vehicle speed exceeds 5 MPH. In other words, they will only stay deployed when the car is stopped to allow for cleaning the top surfaces and to access the roof. Ford apparently doesn't want them deployed when the vehicle is moving.
I’ve been in the habit of turning mine to be deployed when I stop the vehicle and I’m planning to get in and out several times, such as loading or unloading. They go back to Auto when you exceed 5 mph. otherwise you have to remember to change it back. One time I deployed them and forgot to put them back to Auto and crossed a picked cornfield. Just the corn stocks busted the plastic end cap on the front of the running board. No problem! It only cost me $50 for that two dollar piece of plastic! When it is up it is somewhat protected by the mudflaps that I installed. Ye be warned!

Wangle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On another note, don’t wait until they get slow or fail. Maintain them! Every Spring I use WD-40 to clean and flush, and Fluid film as suggested in the video. Great video!

capt_tom

Reaction score
One of the complaints my teenager has is the delay in them deploying...he's still trying to get used to having to wait for them to deploy before jumping out, as the first or second time I dropped him off at school the running board was still moving as he got out and it tripped him up :(

Any particular lubes that people recommend? Just simple WD40, or go with silicone, or a dry-based lube (graphite, teflon)?
Here is an excellent video on how to maintain the running boards Inc lubrication

2020-MAX-Limited

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ve been in the habit of turning mine to be deployed when I stop the vehicle and I’m planning to get in and out several times, such as loading or unloading.
What I do in this case is simply not fully close the doors until I'm ready for the boards to retract. You can bring either front or rear door to the almost closed position and the boards will stay deployed. I guess it depends on how long you are loading/unloading things though. In my case, it's just a matter of minutes.