Lets talk Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

carp2000

Reaction score
Ok everybody, I have an 00 Expy with a 4.6l and it has manifolds, then cataletic converters then it goes to a straight pipe and branches off into two for a dual exhaust look. It sounded really good and loud when I first got it done. Now it's been a couple of months and even my wife says it isn't loud enough. I was going to but a glasspack on it, but thats a muffler and I think that will just make it quieter. I heard about this O2 sensor thing that tricks the trucks computer into thinking everything is normal and then you can gut out the cataletic converters and then it will sound like the trucks I'm use to having (70's models). If anyone has heard of this sensor bypass please let me know. I'm addicted to that old school muscle sound and it's making me crazy not having it.

:troll:

OP
OP
C

carp2000

Reaction score
Man I live out in the sticks and when they check my truck they ask thing like show me the blinkers and the brake lights. so I'm good

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The question is how many cats are on it and where are the rear oxygen sensors? anything behind the rear oxygen sensors isn't being monitored by the computer and is just there to scrub any remaining polutants. Of course you are a rancher and are concerned with setting the meadow on fire right..... so you have a legitimite reason for removing functioning emissions equipment.
Matt R

OP
OP
C

carp2000

Reaction score
I have three converters, to right after the manifolds and one farther back, the sensors are (1) on the manifold and the (2nd) is behind the rear converter. I believe thats where they are. So your saying that I can just take out the rear sensor or I can just go ahead and gut my cats and its all good? Ok I guess I can try that, I can always buy the O2 Simulaters that are out there if I really have too.
:cheers: sounds like beer time

mustangrfast88

Full Access Members
Reaction score
you say manifolds not headers so your still run the stock manifolds and if so find a aftermarket header and that will free some horsepower up and should make it louder since the factory manifolds are so resrictive. and personally i think you are hurting the performance with no mufflers in your setup to make any back pressure and alot of different sound can come from putting mufflers on it

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tan Khai Nguyen