Taking bets - lets see who wins armchair diagnosis!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@LokiWolf ......very well said! I find it amazing that for years (decades?) manufacturers say don't change the plugs (and for that matter, coolant) until 100K miles. Seems crazy. I never keep a vehicle that long, so I guess it's on owner 2...or 3.
Depends on the engine. Lots of engines out there on oem tune that are extremely easy on plugs. My old Subaru and Toyotas definitely were easy on plugs. Eco boost engines not so much. Coolant as long as its not contaminated ie watered down is an easy 100k item. Over servicing fluids is just wasteful and ultimately bad for the environment etc.

Anyone changing oil at 3000 miles today on anything other than a race car is just wasting money/ time and resources.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Depends on the engine. Lots of engines out there on oem tune that are extremely easy on plugs. My old Subaru and Toyotas definitely were easy on plugs. Eco boost engines not so much. Coolant as long as its not contaminated ie watered down is an easy 100k item. Over servicing fluids is just wasteful and ultimately bad for the environment etc.

Anyone changing oil at 3000 miles today on anything other than a race car is just wasting money/ time and resources.
Caveat to that oil statement is, "and using a quality oil".

We aren't talking Subaru's and Toyotas. We are talking Ford Ecoboosts. Also, the Turbo charged Subies are not easy on plugs in general, so there is that.

Most Turbo motors are hard on plugs in general. When tuning it matters more, because of the gapping. As you know, that is one of the things that they lose or gain over time is gap. Changing them with a set of quality plugs WAY sooner than the recommended interval, has a big benefit on these motors. That is very well documented. it improves startup, idle, MPG, and general performance.

OP
OP
A

andyak

Reaction score
To add to the symptoms: Driving today -after about 30 miles was at a stoplight and it started to idle rough again - no codes thrown - I decided to shut it off for 30 sec and restarted it - then ran perfect again for the rest of the trip...

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
To add to the symptoms: Driving today -after about 30 miles was at a stoplight and it started to idle rough again - no codes thrown - I decided to shut it off for 30 sec and restarted it - then ran perfect again for the rest of the trip...
VCT Solenoid...symptoms are right in line.

Knut

Reaction score
Last spring (2023), I had the same thing happen. At a stop light, and when I started driving it was just limping forward and showed the "check engine light". Pulled over and shut the engine down, let it sit for 5 min and started up again. Never had the same issue again, so far. I also ran my OBDII scanner and there were NO codes stored.

OP
OP
A

andyak

Reaction score
Has anyone on this thread replaced any VCT Solenoids - either bank? I read elsewhere that sometimes codes for passenger side can be caused by drivers side not letting enough oil over to passenger bank vcts - I have done just about everything on my vehicles - this is my first Ford. I just wanted to see an over view of the project and can't seem to find anything on youtube or here... any ideas, links ?

OP
OP
A

andyak

Reaction score
4 weeks ago I got another engine code - this time the same Bank but for the Camshaft sensor. I decided to replace as it was cheap ($23) and easy(right) - well easier than vct lol.

If you have not done the passenger side camshaft sensors - they are on the top of the engine right behind the valve cover facing the firewall and are a blind job to do by feel - not so fun.

The Great news is I haven't had a problem since, and my mileage has gone up - so I think I dodged the VCT bullet on this one! - so far no one won this guessing game... lol

BP 09

Reaction score
Good to hear. I always forget there are those sensors hanging on the back side of the passenger head. The driver's side is so much easier to get to. Thanks for the update! I'd still budget for some VCT work later on though!! ;)