P0357 after wire got chewed up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tangodown18

Reaction score
So this is a fun one. Wires for the coil pack and injector on cylinder #7 got chewed up by some mice while my Expedition was sitting outside. Got the plugs all patched up with a pigtail and tried to start it up but got a P0357 code which is a misfire on Cylinder #7.

Checked the resistances on the coil pack and they are in spec, swapped the coil pack with a different one in the motor (known good) and the code was still pointing at Cylinder #7. Checked the plug and voltage is getting there so my question is where should I go at this point?

Please let me know if you have any other questions or if I missed some details. First post for me so I will probably forget something.

This is in a 98 Ford Expedition with a 5.4L 2V engine.

jr1under

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No ready answer here but I've dealt before with a few P030x codes and with mice. You've done everything I know to suggest and more but maybe these questions will stir something up.

Will it start at all? Mine would each occurrence but ran and sounded like it was coughing up a lung.

How confident are you that you've fixed 100% of the damage the mice did to the wiring?

Are all the COP's on that bank the same part #?

OP
OP
T

tangodown18

Reaction score
No ready answer here but I've dealt before with a few P030x codes and with mice. You've done everything I know to suggest and more but maybe these questions will stir something up.
Appreciate you responding all the same. I just feel like I am banging my head against a wall here and not getting anywhere.
Will it start at all? Mine would each occurrence but ran and sounded like it was coughing up a lung.
Starts up just fine, runs a bit rough but if I were to put it on the ground it would drive. Definitely feels like it's missing a cylinder.
How confident are you that you've fixed 100% of the damage the mice did to the wiring?
I am pretty confident that I have fixed it up. I was getting voltage past my solder joints just fine. Dont really have the ability to load test it in any way but I know voltage is getting there.
Are all the COP's on that bank the same part #?
Yeah, all the COPs are the same part number, had them all replaced when I did spark plugs about 20K miles ago.

Thanks again for responding @jr1under

jr1under

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Eventually you'll figure it out but I'm still interested(and assume a few other Gen1 owners are) in hearing about what you've tried whether or not it fixed the problem. Plus, of course, whatever the actual solution proves to be.