Liftgate button

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bader

Reaction score
Had my 2018 expedition the left Gate button of the trunk is not working... only access from the external button which below the registration plate, romot and the driver button... Any clue why only the liftgate button not responding? Take care guys

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pretty common, there are tons of posts on here related to this. Many of us have had the button replaced under warranty, and still had issues. Try tapping (or banging in my case) the plastic trim around the button. Mine seems to be much worse during really cold weather, not sure about others. I believe at least one person on here had the trim around it replaced since it kept happening after multiple replacements.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Had my 2018 expedition the left Gate button of the trunk is not working... only access from the external button which below the registration plate, romot and the driver button... Any clue why only the liftgate button not responding? Take care guys

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk
Here's a couple of the existing threads:

https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/tailgate-button-sticking.40685/

https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/rear-hatch-button-2019-max.43251/

Jace

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I lived with that problem on my '19 up until a few months ago... I would press the button then the ridge of the trim to the right of it and it would work almost every time. The extra step didn't bug me too much lol. My USB's below the screen died tho, so I had them fix the liftgate button at the same time. I'd have probably done it sooner, but I'm 1.5hrs from a dealer and I wanted the trip to be worth my while :)

FoMoCo_Stealth

Reaction score
I lived with that problem on my '19 up until a few months ago... I would press the button then the ridge of the trim to the right of it and it would work almost every time. The extra step didn't bug me too much lol. My USB's below the screen died tho, so I had them fix the liftgate button at the same time. I'd have probably done it sooner, but I'm 1.5hrs from a dealer and I wanted the trip to be worth my while :)

dang dude an hour and a half from the dealer? I’d wait too lol

jastevenson

Reaction score
If you live an hour and a half from a Ford dealer, you must be very rural! Even tiny towns on the middle of nowhere have Ford dealerships.

Jace

Full Access Members
Reaction score
dang dude an hour and a half from the dealer? I’d wait too lol

If you live an hour and a half from a Ford dealer, you must be very rural! Even tiny towns on the middle of nowhere have Ford dealerships.

Haha yeah... gotta give up some stuff luxuries to live where it's quiet! No stop light here either haha. I'm in Central Utah so it's not too bad. Sadly I wish I had more space!

Markuwm

Reaction score
My 2019 expedition max liftgate button stopped working all of a sudden. It was stuck as many of you have said. I took it out after removing the plastic housing of the liftgate. Pops out relatively easy. I purchased a new one online for $16 plus shipping.

Taking it out took about 5 minutes and I’m handy but not a car guy. Putting the new one in went perfectly and still same sticking result with the new one. There is a design issue with the switch/ button on how the tabs seat in the housing. With the switch/ button out of the housing and in my hand, using my fingers with both the old switch and the new switch when I put pressure on the tabs that hold it in, the switch will not retract or operate correctly. When I relieve pressure, the old and the new switches work and retract absolutely perfect. Only solution I could come up with was installing the switch upside down. It stays in firmly, works perfectly but is just upside down. Come on Ford, seriously?? Anyone out of warranty, can save some serious cash with about 10-15 min of there time. Until Ford can get there act together I had to post this as there is almost nothing on the internet about a work around.