Liftgate Button

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tricon

Reaction score
Tried using the search function and it just errors out and says it ran into a problem...
Screenshot 2024-03-29 093105.png

So I guess I'll ask, just bought a 2019 Expedition Limited with 50k miles. The car is amazing, only issue is the liftgate button sticks. I can manually pull it out but it looks to me like its sticking on housing rather than internally in the button. I thought I saw some threads on this but not sure what the fix is. Anyone dremel or cut around the button to give it clearance?

Alwaysthinkin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi @Tricon , welcome to the forum.
I just did a search on tires and had the same server error message. First time I've had that happen.
I also remember seeing some threads on this site that talked about the sticking liftgate button. Hopefully the moderators (@Yupster Dog and @LokiWolf ) will be able to resolve the problem in a timely manner.
Kudos to you for trying the search prior to asking for help! Not many new members take that step...

OP
OP
Tricon

Tricon

Reaction score
Thanks!

I just spent 30 minutes with it and figured it out. Dumb design. If you pull out the button and squeeze the tabs that hold the button into the panel, the button stays depressed. As soon as you relieve pressure on the tabs, the button pops right back out!

So, little redneck engineering, I just popped the tabs off the button, pushed it back into the panel, then used some electrical tape as a sort of lock washer on the rear of the button/panel. Tested it 20 times and it worked every time.

So...dumb, but at least my wife isn't ******** at me :)

OP
OP
Tricon

Tricon

Reaction score
Yea I tried that first after reading it here, might have been your comment actually. Mine was a physical obstruction so no amount of cleaner or silicone lube was going to help for long if at all. I probably could have relieved some of the area around the opening to the same effect, but for whatever reason the tiniest amount of pressure on those clips would make the button stick. The button is only $15 from Ford so I don't care hacking it up. The panel is like $550 so I'd rather not screw that one up hah.

Maxine the Max

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We have a 19 Max Plat. I have had an issue with the button sticking when it's cold. We live in the dakotas so when i say cold. I mean -20 ish or colder. I just get my nails behind the button and gently wiggle. It pops free again. We had a mild winter this year so it wasn't an issue. If I hit the button anywhere but the bottom right corner it will set the lift gate hight and not close the thing. Is that everyones experience?

OP
OP
Tricon

Tricon

Reaction score
We have a 19 Max Plat. I have had an issue with the button sticking when it's cold. We live in the dakotas so when i say cold. I mean -20 ish or colder. I just get my nails behind the button and gently wiggle. It pops free again. We had a mild winter this year so it wasn't an issue. If I hit the button anywhere but the bottom right corner it will set the lift gate hight and not close the thing. Is that everyones experience?

Pretty much, you set the tailgate height by pressing and holding the button. So when you hit the button its sticking and registering a long press instead of a tap. Just got back from a 3 trip with the family and haven't had a single issue with the button so far. Its a dumb design any way you look at it. Not sure how Ford could eff up a button, but they sure did.