Liftgate clearance / trailer jack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Happy Dog

Reaction score
Anyone else have a problem with the liftgate not being able to fully open because it hits the trailer jack?

If so, any solutions?

mwl001

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Very briefly but needed a longer (vertical) drop shank and it’s no longer an issue.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have this issue. It hasn't been enough of an issue for me to remedy it, but I think you can resolve it by rotating the trailer jack.

OP
OP
Happy Dog

Happy Dog

Reaction score
Thanks everyone.
I’ll be using the dealer installed Equalizer WDH.
There are two shank lengths available. 12” and 18”.
Looks like if I go with the 18” I’ll be ok. If I need another inch, or so, I’ll look at rotating the jack itself.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Most trailers the trailer jack is movable on the tongue of the trailer ? Can you loosen it up and slide it back enough to get clearance?

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Most trailers the trailer jack is movable on the tongue of the trailer ? Can you loosen it up and slide it back enough to get clearance?

No, but you can rotate it so that the motor unit isn't facing the tow vehicle.

Reaction score
Hooked up the first time yesterday and had the same problem. Will rotate hitch power head 90 degrees and see if that helps.

Can you turn off the sensor below the bumper? Had it try to open the hatch while I was down there setting up the hitch.

OP
OP
Happy Dog

Happy Dog

Reaction score
[QUOTE="

Can you turn off the sensor below the bumper? Had it try to open the hatch while I was down there setting up the hitch.[/QUOTE]

No way that I know of.
If you can find the sensor, perhaps just covering it with a piece of tape might work.

CaptOchs

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No, but you can rotate it so that the motor unit isn't facing the tow vehicle.

That's exactly what I did. Hook up to tow vehicle and bring the jack up. Take out 3 bolts and rotate jack to one side or the other for the holes to line up again. Piece of cake.