Liftgate parts diagram.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S1N2W1N

Reaction score
Recently I discovered that the inside bottom open/close button is sticking, preventing the open and close command. I am also thinking this is why the foot activated open/close stopped working. Is there anywhere I can go to look at a parts breakdown of the whole cargo door itself? I’ve checked both fuses, disconnected the module before noticing that the button was sticking. Long story short, the dealership we just bought this from did the damage some how some way when we had the cam phasers replaced. Instead of us keep getting the run-around from them. I want to give it a crack. If it’s not too difficult or needing specialty tools.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'll give you my .02. My button has been replaced twice already in 30k miles. the second time, I took apart the button completely to figure out why. The design of the button itself is the real issue. there is no spring or anything mechanical that forces the button to return to it's un-pressed state. it's 100% reliant upon a small rubber nubbin that tries to return to its popped out state. it's very similar to old rubber calculator buttons. Mine sticks far more during cold weather, which makes sense, the rubber just becomes stiffer.

Couple things, the last time, I just replaced the button myself, found it online for like $30. I also added some silicon lubricant to it prior to putting it back together, that seems to have helped a little bit. when it does stick, if i take my fist and bang the interior plastic panel near the switch, it usually pops back out and functions fine.

Tleone

Reaction score
We had our '19 in last year because the button quick working. They replaced it mid-winter and it never worked. After looking at it, it looked like the slot was too small for the button and plus as mentioned above its the design itself. We took it in to replace, and due to being past KM warranty, they wouldn't do anything. So, we just made the hole cutout larger ourselves, and so far, it has been working, but will see once it gets down to the minus 20-30s.

OP
OP
S

S1N2W1N

Reaction score
Did either one of you lose the foot activated control in the mix like we have? I’m telling y’all everything was working flawlessly. I knew something was up when we went to open the liftgate and it only lifted 3/4 of the way. That told me one of the techs at the dealership did it. We sure as hell didn’t. And of course they are playing hardball on taking blame. So does that button pull straight out or do you have to remove the interior panel? Obviously some sort of pigtail is connected.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I disabled my foot activated liftgate purposely using forscan. Was way to unreliable. I removed the lower portion of the interior panel to access the button, it's been a while but I think there are tabs in there you have to release to get the button out. Simple to remove the lower panel. As to your 3/4 opening statement, that could easily be the learning function, especially if you or the dealership are messing with the button. Just open the liftgate all the way up manually, then hold down the button until you hear a ding in the car, that should help reset the lift height.

phil2045

Reaction score
My button was sticking too, annoying as hell. I popped off the button cover and saw it was a rubber membrane that "pushes" the cover back out like 5280tunage described. Mine had some gunk around the plastic guides as well. So I cleaned it, broke off the tabs that are supposed to keep the cover from falling off (the first one wasn't on purpose but figured I'd even it out) and hoped it would fall completely out. Has worked like a charm ever since with every push.

hoange

Reaction score
I'll give you my .02. My button has been replaced twice already in 30k miles. the second time, I took apart the button completely to figure out why. The design of the button itself is the real issue. there is no spring or anything mechanical that forces the button to return to it's un-pressed state. it's 100% reliant upon a small rubber nubbin that tries to return to its popped out state. it's very similar to old rubber calculator buttons. Mine sticks far more during cold weather, which makes sense, the rubber just becomes stiffer.

Couple things, the last time, I just replaced the button myself, found it online for like $30. I also added some silicon lubricant to it prior to putting it back together, that seems to have helped a little bit. when it does stick, if i take my fist and bang the interior plastic panel near the switch, it usually pops back out and functions fine.
This is exactly the same problem I'm having and the fist solution is what I'm doing too. Do you have any info on how to take off the rear panel to get access to the button?

hoange

Reaction score
My button was sticking too, annoying as hell. I popped off the button cover and saw it was a rubber membrane that "pushes" the cover back out like 5280tunage described. Mine had some gunk around the plastic guides as well. So I cleaned it, broke off the tabs that are supposed to keep the cover from falling off (the first one wasn't on purpose but figured I'd even it out) and hoped it would fall completely out. Has worked like a charm ever since with every push.
How did you pop off the cover to access the button? Did you have to take off the door rear panel?

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How did you pop off the cover to access the button? Did you have to take off the door rear panel?
Yeah, you have to remove the interior cover, it's not hard, I only removed the bottom of the panel just enough to get inside to the switch.