Liftgate Rust Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Maximus

Reaction score
So I'm sure that the majority of you have dealt with rust with the 1st Gen Expys seeing as they're along the lines of 20 years old now. That being said, the lower end (bottom) of my liftgate has gone from Okay to Bad in the time span of a year. So for starters (I rarely use my liftegate) it all started as surface rust a couple years back, so I sanded it down, got all the crap off primed it and repainted it and thought it was a done deal, well it's gotten bad to a point where some of it is flaking off in solid chunks and I'm kinda PO's to say the least.

I'm at that point where I'm looking at just buying a new liftgate as well as thinking of ideas to cut the bottom end off and just fabricate a new bottom.

So I wanted to ask if anybody has any experience with this issue and if yes, what did you do to resolve or remedy the issue? Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Here are some pics
full
full

D

doodlebugs-93

Hello, my name is Patrick, I have seen your pics and I had to replace the entire liftgate on my buddies 02 Eddie Bauer his rust issues
came from all the years from driving in the snow and the road salt and he had never washed his expedition his rust was in the exact
same location as your rust and in my opinion if you did cut out the rust and make a new piece you would be back in the same situation
having to deal with the rust issue and I had seen that as well when I was in school taking body shop class I had ran across an old
classmate and his dads 1997 expedition had rust on the entire bottom of his liftgate and he never even washed his expedition any
hopefully, this little bit of info helps you out, in my opinion, it would be a lot easier to replace the entire liftgate and that way you'll
even have a few spare parts as well.