Liftgate stuck closed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slacker262

Reaction score
Hello all. 2011 Expedition with a stuck closed liftgate. The latch mechanism won’t let go of the gate or allow it to close. When I hit a bump the warning light comes on. I assume to fix it I need to crawl inside of the rear panel on the door to release manually. Does anyone have instructions for this or other suggestions? Sorry for my incorrect naming of things, that’s my best description. Thanks!

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello all. 2011 Expedition with a stuck closed liftgate. The latch mechanism won’t let go of the gate or allow it to close. When I hit a bump the warning light comes on. I assume to fix it I need to crawl inside of the rear panel on the door to release manually. Does anyone have instructions for this or other suggestions? Sorry for my incorrect naming of things, that’s my best description. Thanks!

Most likely debris or an object (tarp?) is caught in the latch at the receiver bolt.

Have you tried pushing the open (release) button and pulling the exterior handle with force?

Last edited:

1970Maverick

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't know if the 2011 has a small access panel (2" x 2" ) in the interior trim for the liftgate like my 2017 but, if it does you can access the latch and possibly move it manually. Once you remove the panel there is a plastic sheet that you need to make a cut through. You should be able to see the mechanical latch once you cut the plastic.

OP
OP
S

slacker262

Reaction score
Most likely debris or an object (tarp?) is caught in the latch at the receiver bolt.

Have you tried pushing the open (release) button and pulling the exterior handle with force?
No tarp or anything caught. It happened once when the lift gate was open but I had access to it then. I’ve tried the button with force but nothing has worked. Thanks

2011EL

Reaction score
I'll check my 2011 today and let you know what I find, but pretty sure there's a manual release on the interior.

Goofy173

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In the driver side panel at the back is the liftgate release motor. The drive cable can be released by taking it off the top of the motor. Somehow it's clipped on it. I think you squeeze the boot to remove it by pulling up. Not sure if you pull or spin the drive cable. I've never done it.

The fuel reset is in there too so if your truck won't start after this, you probably tripped it. Push reset.

If you take off the tray above it, I think you can see it from there too but the side panel is the best access. The electronic module for both releases is under that tray I believe.