Longest Service contest.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I totally agree, I just don’t know what else to do at this point! Dont want to go back to minivan, wife thinks Sequoias are too ugly, surburabans & Yukons-no thanks, Navigator doesn’t have enough room behind 3rd row. We have 3 boys going on teenagers so we need something big.

That leaves us back to Expedition. Lots of our issues have been resolved since the ‘18 models and don’t get me wrong, I hate the idea of giving Ford more money but I honestly don’t know what else to do at this point!

You make some very good points - and I’m in somewhat of the same situation.

I still have a Ford Premium extended warranty in effect for my Expedition - but when it expires, I’ll be ready to get rid of it (I usually buy new with a factory extended warranty).

I’m not sure what I’ll buy - but I still want a full-size SUV (not necessarily an extended wheelbase one), as I carry several passengers daily.

Good luck - I hope whatever you get works out for you.

2018ExpyPlatinum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd be dumping that thing. Matter of fact, I agree, I don't even think it would leave the shop. 5 weeks and it's not fixed, plus two or three more?? No, I'd be looking for the Ford rep to buy back and/or contacting an attorney to lemon law.

Cam phasers again? Mine is due for an oil change next month. Gonna tell them to NOT do anything about those "customer satisfaction campaigns" (Customer satisfaction? HA!!! They mean Ford Satisfaction). Doesn't seem broken, so don't fix it.

I also don't know what to do. I really like this truck, but I'm about done with it AND FORD! They turned their backs on us with this cam phaser thing. I'd like to get something new, but it won't be FOMOCO. Nothing else really excites me, nothing else wows me.

Good luck!

Anerbe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With your length of issues, it's totally justified to forget about Ford in your next purchase. Unfortunately, you just have to purchase a vehicle with the features you need, and it could very well point back to the Expedition. My no-no brand is anything Stellantis. My JGC in the past was a big POS - it would randomly shut off switching from reverse to drive. Imagine having to back up onto a road, only to stall. They never could figure it out, had horrible gas mileage (12MPG with cylinder deactivation), and the door seals seemed to disappear after 18 months, creaking and airnoise like no other.

I know they recently launched the Wagoneer, but I'm glad there's other options out there which overlap (Ford/GM). If not, I'd have to deal with the ugly design and the big reliability risks. Inside sure is beautiful tho.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With your length of issues, it's totally justified to forget about Ford in your next purchase. Unfortunately, you just have to purchase a vehicle with the features you need, and it could very well point back to the Expedition. My no-no brand is anything Stellantis. My JGC in the past was a big POS - it would randomly shut off switching from reverse to drive. Imagine having to back up onto a road, only to stall. They never could figure it out, had horrible gas mileage (12MPG with cylinder deactivation), and the door seals seemed to disappear after 18 months, creaking and airnoise like no other.

I know they recently launched the Wagoneer, but I'm glad there's other options out there which overlap (Ford/GM). If not, I'd have to deal with the ugly design and the big reliability risks. Inside sure is beautiful tho.
@Anerbe - but I think this speaks to part of the problem with so many mfr's right now, especially it seems the US based ones. The manufacturing tolerances create such disparity between products. Not including these last couple years (as I believe with supply chain woes, ever mfr is experiencing part quality issues), many others like Hyundai, Honda, Toyota all have pretty tight tolerances, ever car of the line is very similar to the one before it, but these US cars, not so much. I've had 5 GC's and other than a screwed up moonroof that took years to properly diagnose and fix, my Wk2 was amazing. 120k miles and very few issues, but i also take far better care of my vehicles than many.

I only pray I can get 120k out of this with as few issues as I had before (technically i'm already worse than the GC on major issues).

OP
OP
NukeLife

NukeLife

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@Anerbe - but I think this speaks to part of the problem with so many mfr's right now, especially it seems the US based ones. The manufacturing tolerances create such disparity between products. Not including these last couple years (as I believe with supply chain woes, ever mfr is experiencing part quality issues), many others like Hyundai, Honda, Toyota all have pretty tight tolerances, ever car of the line is very similar to the one before it, but these US cars, not so much. I've had 5 GC's and other than a screwed up moonroof that took years to properly diagnose and fix, my Wk2 was amazing. 120k miles and very few issues, but i also take far better care of my vehicles than many.

I only pray I can get 120k out of this with as few issues as I had before (technically i'm already worse than the GC on major issues).
Yes, I think you have hit at the crux of my disappointment / frustration.

There are tens of thousands of 2018 and 2019 Expy’s out there on the road that have not had the cam phaser issue (yet?)
And an equally large number that have not had major transmission failure. (Although the number of owners experiencing rough shifting seems to be very large).

So this speaks to a quality control problem during manufacture.
If it were strictly a poor design, then (in theory) every one would eventually succumb to the fllaw.
But no, Ford tells me that only a small percentage will experience this issue. First off, I’m not convinced that it is a small percentage.
And secondly, what is happening during the build process that is resulting in latent failures of this magnitude?

If I’m top brass at Ford, don’t you think I would want to know right !@#$ NOW! What was causing this problem in my Expy /F150 platform?? I mean, that platform is THE number one selling vehicle in America. I would rapidly dig deep and find / correct this issue.
And then go back and make it right with all the people that have purchased one of the bad apples.

But all you get from Ford, is …“after manufacture date June 2020, the 3.5EB in your Expedition is not susceptible to the cam phaser rattle”..……uh ok. So what did you change?

(Crickets chirping)

So you KNOW the cam phaser issue won‘t pop up in a 2021 Expy, ..but you won’t tell me WHY you know that.

Because you are hoping you can keep tap dancing long enough for my warranty to run out, and then… welp… it’s not your problem, right Ford?

Yeah, F. U.

It’s a quality control problem, that they found and fixed. And maybe an improved design to provide a little more margin to failure. (Improved oil porting?). And they are being slimy as F@#K in not doing the right thing for the owners with proven bad engines. Keep putting that bandaid on and smiling until the warranty runs out.

The ”standardized quality“ you see in a Toyota is far more consistent.
And when there is a problem, Toyota will acknowledge it and own it.

If Ford were being forthright and aggressively beating this problem down? .. yeah, ok, I can see giving them another chance.
I love my Expy. I really wish it were a good one.
But it’s not, and Ford has really disappointed me in how they have handled this. Sadly, there will not be another Expy in my future—or anything based on that platform, for that matter.

I’m contemplating an F250 diesel, but quite frankly, I just don’t want anything to do with Ford right now.

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My ‘19 has 46,789 miles and never had any cam phaser issues to date (*knocking on wood with every readers glance here). Guess I got a good one 4-20-2019 build. I always use Ultra platinum Pennzoil Full synthetic oil 5w20 and change myself when the oil life meter says 30%. Maybe that’s been helpful

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 10

2018ExpyPlatinum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, I think you have hit at the crux of my disappointment / frustration.

There are tens of thousands of 2018 and 2019 Expy’s out there on the road that have not had the cam phaser issue (yet?)
And an equally large number that have not had major transmission failure. (Although the number of owners experiencing rough shifting seems to be very large).

So this speaks to a quality control problem during manufacture.
If it were strictly a poor design, then (in theory) every one would eventually succumb to the fllaw.
But no, Ford tells me that only a small percentage will experience this issue. First off, I’m not convinced that it is a small percentage.
And secondly, what is happening during the build process that is resulting in latent failures of this magnitude?

If I’m top brass at Ford, don’t you think I would want to know right !@#$ NOW! What was causing this problem in my Expy /F150 platform?? I mean, that platform is THE number one selling vehicle in America. I would rapidly dig deep and find / correct this issue.
And then go back and make it right with all the people that have purchased one of the bad apples.

But all you get from Ford, is …“after manufacture date June 2020, the 3.5EB in your Expedition is not susceptible to the cam phaser rattle”..……uh ok. So what did you change?

(Crickets chirping)

So you KNOW the cam phaser issue won‘t pop up in a 2021 Expy, ..but you won’t tell me WHY you know that.

Because you are hoping you can keep tap dancing long enough for my warranty to run out, and then… welp… it’s not your problem, right Ford?

Yeah, F. U.

It’s a quality control problem, that they found and fixed. And maybe an improved design to provide a little more margin to failure. (Improved oil porting?). And they are being slimy as F@#K in not doing the right thing for the owners with proven bad engines. Keep putting that bandaid on and smiling until the warranty runs out.

The ”standardized quality“ you see in a Toyota is far more consistent.
And when there is a problem, Toyota will acknowledge it and own it.

If Ford were being forthright and aggressively beating this problem down? .. yeah, ok, I can see giving them another chance.
I love my Expy. I really wish it were a good one.
But it’s not, and Ford has really disappointed me in how they have handled this. Sadly, there will not be another Expy in my future—or anything based on that platform, for that matter.

I’m contemplating an F250 diesel, but quite frankly, I just don’t want anything to do with Ford right now.
Yup, what he said! I agree 100%. Ford turned their backs. F them. Guess it'll be another 35 years before I buy a new one. Oh, right, by then I won't know who I am.

OP
OP
NukeLife

NukeLife

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had to tab over to page 8 to grab this thread back..

Well guys,… got the call about an hour ago. The dealership is ready for me to pick up my girl tomorrow.
I’ll let you know how it goes….

I’m kinda nervous… we haven’t seen each other in nine weeks… is it going to be awkward the first time again???…