Longevity of a 2000 XLT 4.4 4.6?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hi folks! I'm not sure how to approach this being new here but I guess I'm looking for more reassurance than anything. I bought a 2000 4x4 XLT with the 4.6 v8 this past summer with 87k on it and it was a one owner. It now has 95k on it and I'm pretty pleased with it. I'm looking to get a bit better performance out of it but know a 6,000 lb vehicle with a small v8 is probably limited. Anyways, I've done the usual...k&n filter, flowmaster exhaust, and have ordered a performance chip. What I'm wondering is with this engine having 95,000 miles on it is it basically too late to do much with it? How many miles (with maintenance) have people been getting out of these engines? I've seen some people talking about problems with the 5.4. Has anyone on here had their local ford dealer install one of ford's new crate motors or is that even an option? I've been in cars a long time but just don't have the time/patience or place to work on one. Also this is a second vehicle so I thought it'd be fun to do something with it. Basically, I'm wondering if I should dare do anything to this truck or just enjoy it as is until the engine dies? I guess I'm wondering if this engine may only have 20,000 miles on it or it may be good for 50-70 with maintenance? I know there's no guarantee...but I LOVE THIS TRUCK! Sorry for the rantings guys...thanks in advance! Think I need some more coffee...:troll:

emf22

Reaction score
There are several things you can do to help with performance. It's pretty much only limited to how much money your willing to spend on it. You'll see the most power gains (besides forced induction, i.e. turbo or supercharging) by getting a good quality programmer such as the SCT Xcal2, Diablosport predator, or Sniper Special Forces. With the special forces, you can make an unlimited number of tunes for 2 vehicles. It also has settings for if you ever want to run a turbo or supercharger as well.

Only 95k on a 6-7 year old vehicle is very good, especially on these engines. As long as you do good preventative maintenance, these modular (4.6 and 5.4) engines commonly run to over 200,000 miles and more. My 2000 XLT 5.4 has 170,000 on it and still runs great. I think it may have the cracked exhaust manifold gasket issue which seals up as the engine warms up but other than that it runs great. As long as you use common sense and keep good maintenance on the engine, it should last you at least another 100,000 miles.

OP
OP
I
Reaction score
I'm actually really glad to hear that. I've had ford trucks in the past but never an suv (since a Bronco II I try to forget about in HS). For a vehicle in bad weather and moving stuff around and just plain having a larger vehicle to be to to feel safer I just don't think there's a better one around. I actually ordered a performance chip setup from Sniper performance so I'm hoping good things will come up it. As for as supercharger vs turbochargers I lean towards superchargers. I've had a Saab I tweaked and was running almost 15 psi and had just over 270hp but that was a pretty small car too. I'm thinking about maybe a paxton or vortec but am still researching that. It's more of a summer thing to do since the weather in my area is really bad and my regular car sucks in the snow.

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know that a custom tune that deals with the transmission parameters really makes these trucks drive like they should.
Matt R

C LePoudre

Reaction score
The 4.6 seems to be good enough for the majority of cop cars, taxi cabs, etc., not to mention mustangs and work trucks. Perhaps I expect more from my vehicles than most, but I don't get rid of them until they're over 300,000k.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhrrington