Looking at a 2019 Platinum

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CougarCruiser

Reaction score
I'm looking to switch from an F150 to a family hauler SUV. I have my eyes set on a '19 Platinum with the 2nd row captains chairs.

One thing it doesn't have is the max tow/heavy duty tow package. I don't do heavy towing, and don't imagine myself doing much of it down the road. I do have a small utility trailer, a bike rack, and would like the ability to tow up to, say,,,, 5000 pounds.

Will not having it hurt resale much? Can I add the factory electronic brake controller later?

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Won’t hurt resale too much, a bit. Yes you can add a brake controller later.

F150 Pat

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just sold my 2016 F150KR. Ordered a Limited before Christmas and it's coming in next week. 301A, Special Edition Package, 2nd row bucket seats. It's a nicely equipped vehicle. Max tow is part of the special edition package. Saw the Platinum at the auto show with the beige seats. Way to light for me.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don’t tow heavy either but I got the tow package anyway. The main reason is it gave me the two speed transfer case which I did want and if ever do tow heavy I have the option. Also, since I’m a moron at backing up the small trailer I do have and the tow package backing up thingy makes me look like a pro when my wife watches me so there’s that.

In other words it was worth the small cost to me.... small when compared to the cost of the vehicle I should say.

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don’t tow heavy either but I got the tow package anyway. The main reason is it gave me the two speed transfer case which I did want and if ever do tow heavy I have the option. Also, since I’m a moron at backing up the small trailer I do have and the tow package backing up thingy makes me look like a pro when my wife watches me so there’s that.

In other words it was worth the small cost to me.... small when compared to the cost of the vehicle I should say.

I also don't plan to do much towing but I required 4 low and wanted more features than were available on the XLT with FX4 package. I ended up getting a Limited 302A with HD Trailer Tow package and added skid plates after the fact to my Limited.

OP
OP
CougarCruiser

CougarCruiser

Reaction score
I'm looking at an in-stock unit, that doesn't have the tow package. Hence, my concern. If I was ordering it, it'd be a no brainer. It looks like the standard pack doesn't get you trailer assist (never used on my f150), adds 4low, and raises the tow rating to over 10k with the lower gears. Otherwise, you get a class III rated for 9k? Frankly, that should be fine for me. I just don't want to take a hit down the road because it doesn't have it. The trailer brake I may add just in case - sounds like that's not a huge deal.

any other must have options or things I should make sure check the boxes on? I do wish it had the lower gears - if for acceleration improvements more than anything.

aftermarket wise... Anyone recommend a B&O interface if I do a little stereo improvement? Or a ECU tuner for performance?

Jace

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here are the Towing Capabilities from Ford:

Capture.JPG

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just sold my 2016 F150KR. Ordered a Limited before Christmas and it's coming in next week. 301A, Special Edition Package, 2nd row bucket seats. It's a nicely equipped vehicle. Max tow is part of the special edition package. Saw the Platinum at the auto show with the beige seats. Way to light for me.

Great minds think alike. That is how I ordered mine. With the 22" wheels it is very similar in appearance to a Stealth (303-A) but several thousand less. I think that a Platinum would have been equipped pretty much the same as ours but with massaging seats; probably a nice feature, but something we don't really need.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
These vehicles have horrendous depreciation, so any hit you take will driven by the fact that it's a new Ford more so than the particular configuration. I'm biased, but I purchased my 2017 for a substantial discount for what it stickered for. My advice is to get a used 2018 with the tow package. The vehicle will likely sell easier when you're done with it.