2019 Totaled-looking at 2020 Platinum

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey All,
My wife was in a terrible accident and totaled our 2019 expedition max. It rolled 3-5 times, I guess its hard to count as you are rolling...

Anyway, we need a max with max tow and there are very few of those out there. I think there are about 100 expeditions for sale in my area and less than 10 have max tow. Anyway, we think we found a 2020 Platinum with tow that we are going to look at. It has pretty low miles (23k). Were there still a lot of cam phaser issues with the 2020? Anything else to look out for? We had the xlt with tow and not really any other features. It did have the cam phaser tick at start up and the standard leaking shocks but otherwise I loved it. We looked at the newer suburban/yukon xl but I just can't get on board with it and also they seem to be a little hard to find with the tow package.

I will post some pics of the wrecked max later. Kind of want the insurance to do their thing first. I will say I feel like the expedition is extremely safe, my wife and daughter were totally okay. The side curtain air bags seem to do their job.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank goodness your family is ok. I remember a kid from Georgia football program and his friend were in an expy when they crashed after the game. Im sure foul/unsafe play was involved when they described how the accident occurred, but sad loss of life there.

I believe the cam phasers design was changed starting either 2020 or 2021, I can't remember for sure. I still think people get the rattle, but it could also be the tuebo wastegate which is common, but easy fix. You will def feel the comfort difference from xlt to platinum as well. I went nav instead of expy and actually pretty glad I did.

Jettix2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey All,
My wife was in a terrible accident and totaled our 2019 expedition max. It rolled 3-5 times, I guess its hard to count as you are rolling...

Anyway, we need a max with max tow and there are very few of those out there. I think there are about 100 expeditions for sale in my area and less than 10 have max tow. Anyway, we think we found a 2020 Platinum with tow that we are going to look at. It has pretty low miles (23k). Were there still a lot of cam phaser issues with the 2020? Anything else to look out for? We had the xlt with tow and not really any other features. It did have the cam phaser tick at start up and the standard leaking shocks but otherwise I loved it. We looked at the newer suburban/yukon xl but I just can't get on board with it and also they seem to be a little hard to find with the tow package.

I will post some pics of the wrecked max later. Kind of want the insurance to do their thing first. I will say I feel like the expedition is extremely safe, my wife and daughter were totally okay. The side curtain air bags seem to do their job.
We just purchased a 19 CPO Platinum Max with Max tow. 28k miles. Cam phasers could theoretically be an issue all the way through part of 2021 I believe, I'd just buy the lowest mileage one you can find, buy an extended warranty from Harold Zeigler Ford online, and enjoy it. FWIW our 19 had the cam phaser re-flash at 8k miles and does not have cam phaser noise yet......someday it might, we'll cross that road when we get to it. Just traded a 2022 Suburban in on this as it had HORRIBLE visibility and blind spots. Glad your wife was safe in the accident!

OP
OP
D

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There wasn't another car. They hit some black ice, HP believes that wind had blown some snow over the road which had melted then froze. For some reason when they hit the ice it slid sideways and then when it hit the dirt median sideways it started to roll. They were probably doing at least 80mph. (Speed limit in this area is 80mph). I had talked to her about five minutes before the accident and she had told me the roads were clear and it was sunny and they were making good time, little traffic.

The rear view mirror was still attached by cables but is on the roof of the car.

Attachments

• image_50452225.JPG
    image_50452225.JPG
    177.4 KB · Views: 72
  • image_50454017.JPG
    image_50454017.JPG
    210.9 KB · Views: 71
  • image_50445825.JPG
    image_50445825.JPG
    242.1 KB · Views: 72

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow, that's pretty terrible. I'm glad everyone was okay, i'm sure quite shaken up but to be honesty, that's in a lot better shape then I would have expected for rolling 3-5 times. Gives me a little hope, as i've always been a bit worried about the weight of these and the aluminum body. I can't quite tell but did you have the moonroof, given the XLT I don't believe so, I wonder if that helped in your case by adding a little more rigidity up there. When I think 3-5 rolls in these, I'm usually thinking of extrication.

OP
OP
D

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No sun roof in it, which I agree probably helped. I still honestly am shocked they are okay. I need to find the pictures of the drivers side, it looked almost untouched. No glass broke on the driver side.

OP
OP
D

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The mirror and side step on the driver side are gone but the driver side was pretty untouched.

Attachments

• IMG-2765.jpg
    IMG-2765.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG-1678.jpg
    IMG-1678.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 55