Looking for opinions from the "court" on trade in value

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigfishfin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi All, I have a 2015 Expy XLT, 4x4, 63,500 miles. The truck is in really good condition mechanically and body wise, no accidents, etc. I has been a great TV for my TT over the past 2 years. My plan was to keep it and at about the 80K level pick up a new F250 as the TV. About a week ago I received a $3,500 cash back mailer from Ford and I ordered the F250. The dealer flat out said they would give me $24,000 trade in on the Expy for the F250. I went on KBB and they valued my Expy at about $23K trade in and up to $29,000 on private sale (I paid $30,500 in 2017 with 23K on the clock). So, members of the court, what do y'all think a good trade in value would be?...I know the trade in situation for late model pickups is insane, with dealers having no inventory, don't know what the situation is with Expeditions. Thanks much!...

tommyddsr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
KBB and JD Powers have been adjusted to reflect the crazy market. If you are not willing to sell it outright then the full book value offer is indeed fair and equitable.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You'll always do better selling it outright and it should be easy in this market. If you really don't want to do that, hit Carvana up and see what they offer. They generally beat the local new car dealers by a couple Gs. Carvana's profit is driven by volume over markup.

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Consider the tax savings on the trade as well as the low hassle. For a dealer trade that doesn't seem unreasonable to me though I'd always try for more, all they can do is say no. You'd most certainly sell it outright for more as noted. It's what they plan to do after all and for a profit so you know there is room.

It just depends on if the few grand extra are worth it to you. Me, I would sell it outright but I also have more time than expendable income when it comes to purchasing a vehicle. Being you're buying a new F250 and the average sticker on one I gather we're in a bit of a different situation there.

OP
OP
B

Bigfishfin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Consider the tax savings on the trade as well as the low hassle. For a dealer trade that doesn't seem unreasonable to me though I'd always try for more, all they can do is say no. You'd most certainly sell it outright for more as noted. It's what they plan to do after all and for a profit so you know there is room.

It just depends on if the few grand extra are worth it to you. Me, I would sell it outright but I also have more time than expendable income when it comes to purchasing a vehicle. Being you're buying a new F250 and the average sticker on one I gather we're in a bit of a different situation there.
Good point regarding the tax consequences...Basically, the trade in value ($24K) offered by the dealer would be about $2,000 in tax benefit. Thanks to all responders for input! When the time comes (I figure at least a 6 month wait for the truck), I will ask the dealer for $25K for the Expy and figure that will benefit me over $27,000. I think that would be fair to all...

Goofy173

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know used sales guys. Right now new car places aren't even shipping the crap trucks to the auction. Being said, you might get a great trade in deal, but dealers are marking up trucks ungodlly some places so unless you can bypass the dealer markup, I'd wait.

Be careful though as most Ford Trucks have sat outside for months waiting on chips, direct sunlight, little security. Guys come from ford, pop in the chips or really connect the part, and they do not take them back to the factory for systems checks since they did all they could when they came off the line originally. I lived nearby Ky speedway and saw the acres of Super Dutys and Expys sitting out there for months. Still some there. Transporters take them directly to dealers from there.