Looking for some feedback

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2k3Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am interested at selling my 2003 EB cheapish. The problem is I am trying to balance a great price for what is going on with the truck and I am looking for some help. I don't want to go too low and miss making some extra cash.

Here are the basics:
Clear title and no accidents
Second Owner since 2006 non smoker
Early 2003 built in 2002
133k Miles 5.4l 4wd with tow package
Interior....ravaged by small children but should clean up ok for a 10 year old truck.
No DVD, Nav, or heated/cooled seat....has everything else though.
Everything works...but a strange rattle is coming from exhaust on drivers side.
Steering wheel squeeks.
Magnaflow cat back
Westin bars and Westin bull bar
There is rust and other paint concerns.
Tires have 1/2 tread life left

I am thinking of asking $5k for it since Fair KBB has it at $7100. My lowest is maybe $4500.

My question is should I be asking closer to $6000 and be willing to come down??

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look at what they're going for on craigslist in your area?

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Yep have to see what they are listing for in your area but this doesnt tell you what they are actually selling for. Be realistic. Not a big market for gas guzzlers right now.

I would detail it and fix any little thing you may find. This can make all the difference to prospective buyers in a tough market. Most do not want to buy something that needs work unless its for a great deal.

Everyone expects to negotiate so you should ask for more but not so much to steer potential buyers away.

OP
OP
2k3Expy

2k3Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Look at what they're going for on craigslist in your area?

Craigslist is all over the place with the prices..that being said mine would be the cheapest.

I guess I just need to go for it and see what happens.

tallsville

Full Access Members
Reaction score
always ask for more than you want. Because you know people are always going to haggle you down.

kmh1596

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I picked up my 04 for $5100 with the only major issue being the interior was SHOT from dogs, and I will have to address some rust on the support mounts up front, where they always rust. Only rust on the whole truck (knock on wood).

The seller started at $8K, and worked his way down.. When I saw it, it was down to $6200 I believe. 93K Miles.

I'd say find out what they're selling for in your area, and dump it for somewhere right in that range. Book value means nothing when even a dealer isn't asking book value to sell, or offering trade-in when you try and trade. Gas Guzzlers..

Generally speaking, anything over 100K is "Fair" Condition at best, at least how the market views the pricing.. and then you downgrade from there if it has any issues.

Also, sounds like some of those issues could be taken care of yourself:

Should be able to find the exhaust rattle
You can clean the interior up (use a woolite mixture and a brush)
1/2 tread tires is not a concern, it should be a selling point, if anything. (glass half full)

My $.04..

rex450se

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would start at $7 and come down from there. Also spend some time and clean it and see if you can figure out the exhaust rattle. The rattle could be a cat that is failing to pieces. Once it's clean take a lot of pictures. I have bought a sold a lot on Craigslist, including vehicles, and I really won't consider a vehicle if there aren't any pictures. Give as much info as you can in the description. Make sure and include all features the vehicle has. I sold a Dodge Dakota sight unseen for my asking price because it was exactly what the guy wanted(V8, extended cab, auto, 4x4). When I was looking for my Expy there were a lot that wouldn't say which engine, if it was 4x4 or anything. Take some time to give too much info. And don't be afraid to hold out for awhile if you don't need the money right now.

Victor

OP
OP
2k3Expy

2k3Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am taking it for a full detail this afternoon. Can't wait to see her all shined up...

Just as a feeler I put it on CL for $5k and already had a few calls. One guy seems to really want it after a previous deal fell through leaving him stuck her in Northern Va until he buys something. I just don't buy his story though he ran a carfax so who knows...?

rex450se

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The deal I had with the Dakota I sold was an odd one also. It was a vehicle given to me from my father in law so I was going to split the money with him. We decided we were going to be happy with $900 so $450 each. I listed it for $1800 and had a few people come look at it but nothing too serious. Then a guy called me from northern Iowa and said he wanted it, sight unseen, and would pay my asking price. I just had to meet him half way, about 3 hours away. So being skeptical I asked for a deposit through PayPal so I knew he was serious. He was at his computer and sent $100 before we were off the phone. I meet him that weekend and started to try and talk to him and show him the car. He handed me the rest of the money and said he told me he was buying it. Easiest sell of a vehicle I've ever had. If he's serious and your skeptical, ask for a deposit. It will show you how serious he is.

Victor

ZombieSoldier

Full Access Members
Reaction score
me personally, i would detail the hell out of it, fix the problems, and price it high and then make a great ad making it seem as if it is the best one available and shouldnt be passed up on. let them talk you into the price you want for the truck. dont be afraid to say no to offers. If i were to post mine up today i would ask $8300 and take no less than $7500 (stereo not included), as ours is beyond clean.

Last edited: