Looking to buy soon with lots of questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

richs fishes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Transmission shudder is common. For some a drain on fill of the trans fluid is enough to fix it. For others not so much. Also brake hose collapse is common which causes the calipers to 'freeze' up and pulls hard one way when braking.

I got my 08 EL earlier this year with 95K miles for $8000.

OP
OP
James Cain

James Cain

Reaction score
Wow! Guys thanks so much for all the advice. So glad to see the community for these is alive and kicking as it was with my Superduty. I will take all into consideration. Good to see there arent many major problems with them.

OP
OP
James Cain

James Cain

Reaction score
Thanks Jeff, but op don’t take my advice as gold lol. Read into everyones though and you’ll learn a lot. I learn from people on here everyday and I’ve been on the wrong side of the fence plenty of times. This is a great place when you do buy one. I can’t tell you how many times these guys have saved my trouble and $$$.

I see budget is a constraint, which was the same boat I was in. If it wasn’t the 15-17 EcoBoosts are great trucks and not much more than a late 5.4. That being said with that budget a well cared for earlier 5.4 is the most realistic option. A late 5.4 V8 or 3.5 Eco will be whipped with miles for 10k so I’d shop 07-12 range myself.
exactly what I was thinking. from what I am finding, I'm seeing 2007-2010s under 150K for under $10K. Gonna try and stay away from 2007 year model because of the spark plug issue. Question on that; What exactly is the issue with the spark plugs? is there a special tool needed that prevents the plugs from breaking when changing them?

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Gonna try and stay away from 2007 year model because of the spark plug issue. Question on that; What exactly is the issue with the spark plugs?

This is what happens when you read various opinions and take them as bible.

SOME, not all, Expeditions had "spark plug issues". Some owners and mechanics don't follow any of several techniques for replacement. They ratchet away like its a weedeater plug. The end result is "Ford is junk, had to helicoil, had to buy a new head, avoid this vehicle" mentality.

If you've found a 2007, 2008, or even a 2015 with over 100K miles and original spark plugs, you've found a truck where the basic, most routine maintenance hasn't been followed. Its probably got the original coolant in it as well. Should you avoid this? IMO not necessarily, you should negotiate the service(s) being completed before buying if there are no receipts in the glovebox indicating whats been done.

If at a dealership or private party: "Here is what I'll offer for the truck, here is a $500 refundable deposit check. Call me next Tuesday when all the work is complete and we'll finish the deal after another short test drive then." If they balk, you walk.

Also know that Ford sold like 90K 2007 models. 2008 saw just 55K. 2009 31K. So mathematically the 2007 is the most plentiful. Since its the most plentiful, it'll obviously have the most complaints, and keep in mind when it comes to reviews most people harp on negatives. Like 3rd owners who didn't check any maintenance history before buying-here, paying-here for a 2007 with 150K, after 3 plugs snapped when their brother in law (who took automotive in high school) tried to replace them one night after drinking.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
exactly what I was thinking. from what I am finding, I'm seeing 2007-2010s under 150K for under $10K. Gonna try and stay away from 2007 year model because of the spark plug issue. Question on that; What exactly is the issue with the spark plugs? is there a special tool needed that prevents the plugs from breaking when changing them?
The issue is that in the mid 2000s, Ford used a two-piece spark plug in several engine designs. It didn't take long to discover that the design of the head, coupled with the design of the plug, was poor. The plugs were collecting carbon in the plug well which acted like a glue between the head and the plug. When someone tried to take out the plug, they were breaking, leaving the business end of the plug in the head. This particular failure is something any engine can suffer, but the Ford design was almost guaranteed to snap a plug if you were unaware of the issue and didn't at least try to make easier to get the plug out. No method proved to be 100% effective. Ford stopped using the 2-piece plug in mid-year 2008 (if you have a 2008, you can tell which plugs the factory installed by looking at the color of the coil boot - black = 2-piece, brown = 1-piece).

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sometimes they get carbon build up then break if not removed correctly. There is a lisle tool to retrieve if any break. The proper procedure is to spray carb cleaner inside the plug well after 1/4 turn loosen then let soak to break carbon up first. I’ve changed the plugs on two of my 2007 Expeditions last one totaled and this one and Zero (0) plugs broke on either for reference lol. Went smoothly with the carb cleaner soak method.

Last edited:

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sometimes they get carbon build up then break if not removed correctly. There is a lisle tool to retrieve if any break. The proper procedure is to spray carb cleaner inside the plug well after 1/4 turn loosen then let soak to break carbon up first. I’ve changed the plugs on two of my 2007 Expeditions last one totaled and this one and Zero (0) plugs broke on either for reference lol. Went smoothly with the carb cleaner soak method.
Now that its been 11-12 years since the last of those plugs were originally installed, any car still using those factory plugs should be just a piece of crap, indicating an extreme lack of maintenance.

OP
OP
James Cain

James Cain

Reaction score
So guys, I found a 2007 Navigator L. Has 84,000 miles and in pretty good condition. Only issue is the rear airbags wont fill. A quick search tells me this is a common issue with these. What can you guys tell me about this?

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Many have swapped to springs and eliminated the air ride entirely.

OP
OP
James Cain

James Cain

Reaction score
Many have swapped to springs and eliminated the air ride entirely.
well the rear is sitting really low so i'm assuming it still have the stock rear air suspension. If I get it, I already planned on doing the swap to springs. I was asking what would need to be done to repair the air bags until I could get the springs installed.