Looking to buy soon with lots of questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

James Cain

Reaction score
Hey guys, my name is Clint and I’m new here. A little bit about me: just moved to Vegas from Italy (active duty air force) and looking to buy a 3rd gen EL. I am selling my 2002 F350 7.3L that I did quite a bit of work too. Also thinking about a navigator L and wanted to know your opinions between the two since they share the same platform. Preferably 2007-2013 due to budget constraints (trying to stay under 10K). so here are my questions:

1. Expedition EL vs Navigator L pros and cons?
2. I see that the earlier model 4x2 (2007/2008s) got an epa 12 city/18 hwy and then some of the later models get 14 city/20 hwy. What year did they make improvements to up the fuel economy? Also, what is the best mpg people in the real world are getting with these rigs?
3. I was shooting to buy something under 150k miles. What is the going reputation for these and longevity. I have read some great things about the 5.4 but wanted to see if these had any know issues or weak points to be aware of?
4. When checking these out, what should I check for mechanically? I am pretty mechanically inclined and can check the basic stuff.
5. any other general items to be aware of

all replies and input appreciated

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm driving my 3rd expy.......I hate the Navigator....in the DC area, I wouldn't look right in a navigator....just the way it is here. Navs are better appointed though.

I would not have bought my '17 if it only came with the 5.4. Great engine, crappy execution imho(please don't beat on me too hard 5.4 guys). Cam phasers, head gaskets...no excuse t me.

What's your budget? The rest is kinda immaterial till we know if you are thinking of spending 5K vs 15K or 25K.

jeff

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
If you can manage to swing something under 100K miles, you can get a Ford powertrain warranty for about $1300 and not have a worry in the world for at least a few years.

I'd avoid anything built before 10/9/07 (date label on door jam or right valve cover) so you're not stuck with those plugs that break when you try changing them. That's when they changed to conventional plugs. And listen for the rattle on startup that suggests timing chain guide problems.

Good luck, welcome and thank you for serving in the Air Force for us all.

OP
OP
James Cain

James Cain

Reaction score
I'm driving my 3rd expy.......I hate the Navigator....in the DC area, I wouldn't look right in a navigator....just the way it is here. Navs are better appointed though.

I would not have bought my '17 if it only came with the 5.4. Great engine, crappy execution imho(please don't beat on me too hard 5.4 guys). Cam phasers, head gaskets...no excuse t me.

What's your budget? The rest is kinda immaterial till we know if you are thinking of spending 5K vs 15K or 25K.

jeff
Great info Jeff. My budget is around $10K. I have actually found quite a few in that range but most have 150k+miles.

OP
OP
James Cain

James Cain

Reaction score
If you can manage to swing something under 100K miles, you can get a Ford powertrain warranty for about $1300 and not have a worry in the world for at least a few years.

I'd avoid anything built before 10/9/07 (date label on door jam or right valve cover) so you're not stuck with those plugs that break when you try changing them. That's when they changed to conventional plugs. And listen for the rattle on startup that suggests timing chain guide problems.

Good luck, welcome and thank you for serving in the Air Force for us all.

Exactly the type of stuff I want to know! Thanks Trainmaster. I will keep the date in mind but will probably just avoid 2007 year models all together to be on the safe side during my search. Finding one with under 100K miles with my budget may be tough but good to know.

And we couldnt perform our mission without your support, so a big thanks to you!

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t like the Navigator myself, I wouldn’t even look at them when I was shopping. No 4Low and those taillights just don’t do it for me. I like the 5.4, my last one was still perfect at 180k miles before the truck was totaled in an accident. My current one will be getting a new timing set in spring but runs perfect besides startup rattle in morning. Camphasers and timing chains fail commonly on the 3.5 EcoBoost and occasionally the 5.0, all one needs to do is look at the F-150 forum for higher mileage trucks. Not really something limited to 5.4s, maybe a bit more common is all. Take care of them and they are good whichever engine. Head gaskets aren’t a common failure item on the 5.4 3V Triton, that’s only a worry if you are looking at older 2V versions pre 2005. The 3 valve engine got entirely new head gaskets with the revised heads and higher compression.

2009 got the 6R80 which has some programming differences than the 6R75 in the 07-08 units. Both are good but the 6R80 has tow/haul mode which is nice. All depends on the shape of the trucks you find, whatever is in better shape and a better deal is a winner.

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Jeff, but op don’t take my advice as gold lol. Read into everyones though and you’ll learn a lot. I learn from people on here everyday and I’ve been on the wrong side of the fence plenty of times. This is a great place when you do buy one. I can’t tell you how many times these guys have saved my trouble and $$$.

I see budget is a constraint, which was the same boat I was in. If it wasn’t the 15-17 EcoBoosts are great trucks and not much more than a late 5.4. That being said with that budget a well cared for earlier 5.4 is the most realistic option. A late 5.4 V8 or 3.5 Eco will be whipped with miles for 10k so I’d shop 07-12 range myself.

Last edited:

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought this '03 EB edition 5 years ago for 5K with under 150K. Tranny died at 177 but the truck was very nice. You can find a really nice truck...but be careful for frame rust. I used to launch my boat with my '99 and the whole rear rusted to the point that the show towers rusted through!

jeff

1.jpg

1b.jpg