LOTS of error codes!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JPT619

Reaction score
Hi there - I purchased a new 2018 Expedition Max Platinum in March 2019 for my wife. At around 1,000 miles, it started shooting tons of error codes including Antilock Brake Fault, Hill Start Assist Warning, Hill Descent Control Fault Warning, Forward Collision Warning, Powertrain malfunction/Reduced Power. After the first time, we took to the dealer and were told that they needed the error codes to be active (they had shut off) in order to diagnose. This sounded odd, but this is also my first Ford. Didn't happen again for a few days, but then would happen periodically, and then more frequently. Happened again last week, wife drove to the dealer and left the vehicle running so codes would stay active. They kept it overnight and said they found a loose ABS sensor and that "should" fix it. Wife didn't even get home from the dealer and all the codes popped again. Now it happens basically every time the vehicle is driven. Dealer has said that they've seen this once before and it was a loose wire or something and is very hard to diagnose, but it is causing a huge problem for driving the vehicle. Anyone out there seen this before and have any fixes to the problem? Vehicle is going back to the dealer again today....

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would suggest starting a case with Ford. Check your owner's manual for the telephone number in case this continues to reoccur. This will put some pressure on getting it fixed right the 2nd time instead of 10th.

Also if they can't fix it, they can buy it back or you can lemon law it. But do give the dealer a chance to make it right but let Ford customer service know they already failed once.

Keep us posted.

Bonji

Reaction score
Battery.

You bought a "new" vehicle after it's been sitting for 16 months or so. Could be a loose ground wire, but start with a fresh battery. Just my two cents.

Regan DeMello

Reaction score
I didn’t have those codes, can’t remember what they were but it was loose cables to the power supply somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mquick5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Battery.

You bought a "new" vehicle after it's been sitting for 16 months or so. Could be a loose ground wire, but start with a fresh battery. Just my two cents.
He said it had 1k miles on it, I wonder if it was involved in a front end crash?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Bonji

Reaction score
He said it had 1k miles on it, I wonder if it was involved in a front end crash?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I read it as: He bought it new, and at 1k miles the issues began presenting.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Most of the so called mechanics today are intimidated by all of this electronic razzle dazzle since they can't follow the wires like in the old days. Dealers don't to spend a lot of time tracing electrical issues under warranty.

First item to check when dealing with electrical issues is the source voltage - in this case the battery.
Should that pass then the next thing are the connections to the chassis ground(-) and power distribution(+) points.

The pcm/ecm is programmed to log error codes that basically tell the tech which side of the circuit the issue is on, it can be on the negative side (voltage out of range low) or on the positive side(voltage out of range high).

Next time post the codes if you can.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The owner (and forum members.....) should not have to figure out numerous defects on a newly purchased vehicle, now with 1,000 miles.

I’d suggest the owner contact an attorney and/or research his state’s lemon law process.

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yes i had this exact problem. and was wreaking havoc and progressed to the vehicle locking me out while out of town and shutting down while driving once.

it was a loose ground in the passenger side kick panel. they removed the plastic kick panel insert and tightened the the nut or bolt and it has been perfect ever since.

S Mathieson

Reaction score
Not good !
Have had a 2018 Platinum Max since last August, 20,000 Kms on it now without any issues or error codes. Suggesting you go direct to Ford. Good luck