Loud noise during start up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Platinum 322

Reaction score
Having an issue. During initial start up my 2018 expedition max is making a loud clatter noise.( almost sounds like a diesel for approximately a second or two) I tried to upload a video but it would not allow me to do so.. any ideas?

Reaction score
Have the cam phaser checked. It's all over this forum. We just got ours back from having this exact problem corrected. SSM 48272

AKentPhoto

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is it all platinums that do it or are any of them fair game? If it's mostly platinums then it makes me wonder if it's a detuned HO instead of juiced non-HO...

ExpyWeave

Reaction score
Same with our 18 Platinum. Likely cam phasers not holding oil when it rests for extended period of time (noise the worst on first engine start up after sitting overnight.) Common problem. Ours was in shop for 3 weeks having cam phasers replaced- 9 months later, problem returned.

Bmanxx13

Reaction score
Is it all platinums that do it or are any of them fair game? If it's mostly platinums then it makes me wonder if it's a detuned HO instead of juiced non-HO...

We have an 18 limited and it has this problem as well. Haven’t had a chance to take it to the dealer yet...

08navigator

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Our 2015 navigator has had the chain rattle at startup since 34k miles. It intermittent though so I haven't had it fixed yet

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What is the downside of the rattle being left? I’m not down with leaving a truck in the shop for weeks. If it’s a wear issue due to lack of oil, it’s just going to come back unless more oil is directed at that spot.

I had an ls1 that was noise at startup. Wasn’t a big deal long term.

Diverdown

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why would that happen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk