Loud noise/rattle front of engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Today when I was driving I noticed a loud rattle noise coming from the front of the engine, I think it's probably one of the pulley bearings needing to be replaced. I have had a slight rattle for the last month and yesterday it got worse, it sounded more like a metallic popping noise.

Also, the fan is now always on, even when I first start the truck when it's cold, heat off. I'm going to pull the belt off tomorrow and check the pulleys. Could the fan being on all the time be related to a bad pulley bearing? Wondering if I have another issue I need to look into. Thanks

OP
OP
2004XLT

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My exp is an 04, a 2v engine, and from what I've read it doesn't have cam phasers.

I've had rattle noises for a while which I'm sure are pulleys, the fact that the fan being always on began at the same time this noise started makes me think it's all because of the fan clutch.

OP
OP
2004XLT

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Belt tensioner pulley was shot the bearing was gone and it was grinding against the block. Replaced it and the belt while I was in there and now the sound is completely gone. The fan still is spinning at all times so I'll do the clutch in the next couple days.