Low voltage and then stalling out.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D

DeeeePIMPact

Reaction score
Thanks, the voltage drop test will be something I do today just to double check everything. I got the MAF sensor plugged back in and everything is fine. The voltage is at 14.4-14.3 at idle and the truck is having no problems idling. Again, thank you for the suggestions! :)

OP
OP
D

DeeeePIMPact

Reaction score
It seems as if the rough idle has returned. I tried to clean the sensor and it's still idling rough. The truck doesn't seem to stall out as it did before but the idle is rough and the voltage fluctuates between plus or minus .8 to .4 volts. Again I have the H.O. Alt on right now and the regulator doesn't connect to the alt causing check charging system light to come on.

The problem seem to come back on my drive to the gas station to fill up the tank..... I did take the battery cable off for an hour after I thought I solved the problem by cleaning the MAF sensor this morning...

Back to the drawing board.... :(

Last edited:

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
One thing I have noticed in all of this is That you state "Low voltage and then stalling out."

Now you mention that the "the rough idle has returned" and "The truck doesn't seem to stall out as it did before"

Have you checked for any vacuum leaks?

OP
OP
D

DeeeePIMPact

Reaction score
No I haven't checked for vacuum leaks. I did have a vacuum leak in the 4x4 system that was engaging the 4x4 in the front hub bearings. I replaced the 4x4 solenoid by the battery with 1 that had the plastic covering preventing water from getting in and still had the problem. I bypassed that solenoid and haven't had the problem with the 4x4 engaging since. That was about 4 weeks ago.

Other than that I know of no vacuum leaks, to my knowledge. BUT no I have not tested for them either.

OP
OP
D

DeeeePIMPact

Reaction score
I determined that the screeching was coming from the ribbed idler pulley on the right side of the engine. Replaced that and screeching is gone. I visually inspected the rest of the pulleys in between the rain we're getting and I don't SEE what I would call bad pulleys. The tensioner is moving a little up and down at idle but doesn't look like anything crazy. The pulley on the tensioner appeared to be spinning fine...

After I cleaned the MAF sensor the voltage has not dropped below 13.0 volts at all. Even though the idle is real rough and the voltage is fluctuating between .8 to .4 volts. it's usually between 14.5 to 13.7 lowest sometimes to 13.3....

I can not remove the belt right now and spin the pulleys because of 1.) the rain and 2.) I have stiches in my back right now and the further down I reach I can feel the stiches straining... :(

When I went to replace the ribbed idler pulley I had the manager at advance look at the belt system and the only concern he had was that the smooth idler I replaced a couple weeks back on the top left side of the engine can spin freely without relieving any tension from the tensioner.

He squeezed the belt while the car was off watching the tensioner move and it didn't seem to have any problems. BUT he did think it was weird that the smooth idler pulley on the top left side could spin freely with the tensioner not being touched....

OP
OP
D

DeeeePIMPact

Reaction score
The truck does not stall out anymore, since I cleaned the MAF sensor. The truck ran fine after I cleaned the MAF sensor, so I disconnected the battery to reset the check engine light . Came back connected it and went to get gas. On my way to getting gas is when I noticed the rough idle had returned. BUT again its just a rough idle and it doesn't stall out like it used too before I cleaned the MAF sensor.

OP
OP
D

DeeeePIMPact

Reaction score
during the rough idle the voltage is fluctuating between .8 to .4 volts usually between 14.5 to 13.7 lowest sometimes gets to 13.3.

OP
OP
D

DeeeePIMPact

Reaction score
another concern the manager had at advance was the regulator not being plugged in on the H.O alternator. He said when I unplugged the battery, the PCM or computer system might be having a hard time re-learning because of that regulator not being plugged.

I'm in the works of trying to figure out a way to connect the stock regulator wire harness coming from the car to the HO Alternator by having a pig tail custom made for the HO alternator.

OP
OP
D

DeeeePIMPact

Reaction score
BUT before I even had a rough idle I had this HO alternator on the truck and there was never a rough idle... BUT then again I never disconnected the battery to reset the check engine light either until now.....

Not trying to confuse anyone, just trying to give all the information I know.