Lower Radiator Hose AGAIN!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Samuel Jewell

Reaction score
Since I couldn't find a reasonably recent thread about this abhorrent excuse for a hose connector, and I tested the limits of my faith fighting it this weekend, I thought I'd bring it up again. So has anyone who replaced the stupid connector with good old hose clamps had any long term issues with leakage(of the radiator hose, not interested in any other leakage you may have)?

OP
OP
S

Samuel Jewell

Reaction score
May be the thread below may be of some help.

Lower Radiator Hose - No Hose clamp

Yeah, I read that one, and quite a few others. The last entry to that one was 2016. That's why I was asking if any of the people who stated the replaced the connector with a hose clamp if they were still happy with that decision. After all if it's been two years leak free, I would consider that success!

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
When I changed out my radiator I found the stupid connector on the bottom hose. after I did get it disconnected I decided to pay the extra for an oem replacement and I am still happy with that decision.

I mean it was only like a $30 difference What is your time and peace of mind worth?
Actually, less than that when you add in the tee, little hose and clamps for tee that goes to the reservoir.
FACT: It is not a smooth surface under the clamp so it will always rub and/or wear a hole and eventually leak.

OP
OP
S

Samuel Jewell

Reaction score
When I changed out my radiator I found the stupid connector on the bottom hose. after I did get it disconnected I decided to pay the extra for an oem replacement and I am still happy with that decision.

I mean it was only like a $30 difference What is your time and peace of mind worth?
Actually, less than that when you add in the tee, little hose and clamps for tee that goes to the reservoir.
FACT: It is not a smooth surface under the clamp so it will always rub and/or wear a hole and eventually leak.
I have a new OEM hose on the way. As an Engineer, I am not happy with the OEM design, and by nature that puts me to looking at "re-engineering" it! The lack of a retention bump on the radiator outlet, and the fact that the hose isn't quite the right diameter is what led me to question simply clamping it back on. Both issues could be overcame fairly easily so not a show stopper. Hence my question as to the long term success of other people's efforts at simply clamping it. In the end I will probably just leave the OEM design with a new OEM radiator and hose, maybe it will last another 21yrs!

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
That’s my approach to parts on my ole gal. If the OEM lasted this long why spend more for an aftermarket or risk aftermarket quality and fitment? I always try to go OE if available.

OP
OP
S

Samuel Jewell

Reaction score
That’s my approach to parts on my ole gal. If the OEM lasted this long why spend more for an aftermarket or risk aftermarket quality and fitment? I always try to go OE if available.
One of the issues I have is that it was a search to find a new hose with the insert in it. It was not available locally, had to be ordered. This is always a problem with short-run, limited wear items. 10 yrs from now there may be no possibility of finding a new insert. It's a problem that should have never existed.