lowering revisited

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wittom

Reaction score
Hello all.

I've searched and haven't really found what I'm looking for.

I would like to lower the Expy a bit. Mostly for handling, as any kit that I've seen doesn't lower much. To be honest this beast doesn't inspire confidence at highway speeds. I like how it handled bumps at lower speeds but cornering at highway speeds doesn't feel secure. At least not compared to what I've driven in the past.

I would like to tighten up the spring rate and tighten body roll. I was thinking of the Eibach springs and anti-roll kit. Does anyone here have experience with these kits? I think that it might make this vehicle feel more secure on the highway.

If this isn't a viable option, I may trade into something that handles better. The Expedition has proven very useful for what I use my vehicle for. There is the right amount of room. The power is decent for the size/weight vehicle it is, and the guy who does my tuning has a lot of experience with these Fords, so it goes pretty good.

Any comments?

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How does the Troyer tune work out? I've always heard he does really good tunes for the F150s.

LOL, the 2003-2006 Expeditions actually handle alot better than the previous gen bodies. I wonder if there is an improvement in handling with the new Expeditions.

I have always heard that lowering will improve handling tremendously. Wonder how much it costs...

I've driven a 2005 F150, and the Expedition feels a lot more stable at higher speeds. What other cars have you driven?

Oh, BTW, I'm over at f150online as well, under the same name. :)

Last edited:

AvroAero

Full Access Members
Reaction score
lol, what I was thinking. Try taking corners with the struts on the inside of the frame.
Makes for good controlling skills and confidence when stability is questioned.

I've driven an 04 F150 compared to my 99 Expy it handles great.

Try getting a high surface area torsion bar.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm, so it seems in terms of handling:
1997-2002 Expeditions<2004-2007 F150s< 2003-2006 Expeditions :D

OP
OP
W

wittom

Reaction score
Originally posted by ELVATO
How does the Troyer tune work out? I've always heard he does really good tunes for the F150s.

I've driven a 2005 F150, and the Expedition feels a lot more stable at higher speeds. What other cars have you driven?

Mike Troyer has tuned a supercharged '98 F150 I had, a slightly modified '04 F150 Lighthning that I had and this Expedition. The difference from stock is unbelieveable. The SCT XCAL2 that I have has three tunes on it. They are all better than stock but I prefer the 93 octane performance tune. There is als an 87 octane performance tune and a 93 octane towing tune.

I've had the opportunity to meet Mike and his wife Anita. They are great people. They have been great to do business with. They are fair, have good prices and outstanding customer service. They've recently expanded their operation to include a much larger installation shop with a dyno. I haven't seen the shop because it's tough to find the time to drive down to VA.

I may have a bias, but I can't imagine any one other than Troyer for my tuning and performance parts. (I sound like a commercial don't I. I assure you I don't get paid to say this stuff.) Anyone thinking about tuning their Expedition should give them a call.

My last two pick ups had a lower center of gravity and a solid rear axel. I think that the Expedition with it's much higher center of gravity and IRS make driving it much different from what I'm accustom to.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea, it's ok. I sometimes sound like a commercial when describing my Sniper custom tune. :)

I'd think the IRS would give it a better ride, right? Either way, lowering it should improve it. You can always do it and write a review :)

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, wittom saw your message over at F150online. :)

pronstar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My experience with Troyer was quite different.

My truck barely ran on his canned blower tune.
He blamed my install, said there was not way it was his tune. He wouldn't even look at the datalogging, and refused to alter my tune...a service that I paid for.

Yet Sal at PSP put it on the dyno and, sure enough, it was the tune. But by then my cats were toasted.

Danny Swanson performed my last tune after I had my cat issue resolved.

Lots and lots of folks have great luck with Troyer. I wasn't one of them. I lean toward a custom dyno tune, for your particular truck.