lowering springs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eddie

Reaction score
hey guys my first post here on this forum

i was wondering if anybody knew where to get some lowering springs for a 03 expo i have been looking everywhere but cant find any i went to styling concepts and they only go up to a 02

will 02 springs fit on my 03
thanks in advance guys

monsta

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think you may have to cut the springs.

The springs from previous years are not interchangeable wit h the 03+ trucks.

OP
OP
E

eddie

Reaction score
will the truck bounce alot if i cut the springs

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't think it will. As long you you don't cut too much off. I used to have a mercedes and I cut the springs on that, and it lowered it and made it handle a lot better. It's hard to find a shop to cut them for you, but if you have a hack-saw with a metal blade, they'll take about 20 minutes, and 1-2 blades per spring. Or if you're blessed with a power tool to do it, then use that.

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How much are you planning on lowering it? Have you read about the torsion twist? It's the easier and cheapest way to lower the front end.

GE2

Reaction score
Lowering Springs......

Yes, there are lowering springs for the 03-05 models. Works for both 2wd & 4wd. I had them on my expedition before I bagged it. They are from Eibach, and they are simply a direct spring replacement. (http://eibach.com/eibach/images/EPS_TruckApplications.pdf)

Here is a before:
435523.jpg

and with the springs:
442770.jpg

448476.jpg

MANDOS04

Reaction score
Originally posted by eddie

Wathever you do DON'T CUT THE SPRINGS!!!! You'll be bouncing like the lo-lo's I see riding around best thing to do is do it rigth the first time. I think Eibach makes some springs not sure

Lowandslow

Reaction score
to Ge2 Did you put them in yourself and if you did how hard is it? Also in looking at the spacing there is like 6 inches between the top of the tire and the fender does the 1.6 inches really make that much differance, also when you did put it on air which company did you use and how much did it run. I saw some interesting things from Air ride tech so im just curious.

Last edited:

racerock

Reaction score
Originally posted by eddie

Absolutely it will. On a vehicle of this weight, cutting anything off, will directly effect the ride (negatively in my mind). By the time you cut enough off to lower the ride, a large percentage of that spring is gone. The weight of the vehicle is the same, so, it will be some X% "Bouncier", probably exponential in my mind.

Someone asked why would you do this? To make the thing handle better in the turns, that is why.

That is also why I liked my Range Rover air suspension. Once you were at 35 for 30 or 40 seconds or more, the Rover would lower 1 1/2 inches. Come up to a stoplight, and it stays lowered, unless you are under 30 Mph for about 2 minutes, I think.

Go offroad, and raise the thing (2" or so). Then in offroad mode, if a tire spins, it thinks you are on a log or a rock, so it raises it another 1/12 or 2" I forget.

Go out to a nice restaurant, and want to make it easy for people to get out? Put er in Park, hit the access button, and wham, you are sitting on the bump stops, hammered.

Really cool.