LT or P

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1oldtimer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi All,
First off I really hate to ask this question as I’m sure it’s been around a time or two. But no luck finding the specific answer.
I have a 2013 el limited.
I tow an #8000 max weight 32 foot camper.
I am looking for LT tires and have wanted the Michelin Defender. But they are not an LT as many would be confused by the LTX branding. Most of the P rated I have seen are good for 2535lbs each.
Want are y’all using and or recommending please.
And a big thank you in advance for your help.
And I guess I should mention tire size is 275/55/20

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi All,
First off I really hate to ask this question as I’m sure it’s been around a time or two. But no luck finding the specific answer.
I am looking for LT tires and have wanted the Michelin Defender. But they are not an LT as many would be confused by the LTX branding. Most of the P rated I have seen are good for 2535lbs each.

If you don’t mind a slightly narrower tire, the 265/60 R20 is only about .5 inches larger.

The defender LTX comes in an LT version of that size.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tried the LT for a couple of days on my 06...back to the P. Michelin Defender M/S2 on most of my vehicles.

JVinOlathe

Reaction score
Hi All,

Are you worried about the load capability of the Michelin tires? 2,535 x 4 tires is 10,140 lbs. which is more than enough. Your truck fully loaded is around 6,000 lbs, add the weight of the tongue which should be under 1,000 lbs. and you are around 7,000 lbs. The weight of the trailer is NOT carrier by the truck tires, it is carried by its own tires.
LT rated tires are stiffer and will compress less than P tires but will also have a harsher ride when not towing.

mwl001

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is this something those with lower profile tires feel is worth considering? I have the 22" wheels/tires on my Limited and there's just not much sidewall there... it's hard for me to imagine something stiffer offering much of anything except a harsher ride. Indeed, they may not even be available as I have not found one yet.

But I agree, much like choosing to go 3/4 or 1 ton vs. 1/2 ton, you really should be looking at how often you'll be taking advantage of what you get vs. what you give up. If you do lots of heavy duty towing or hauling, you will appreciate the benefits, however when you're not doing those things you're paying a price in ride quality and probably mileage too.

OP
OP

1oldtimer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well I decided on the Michelin Defender and had them put on over the weekend. What a difference in the side to side flex. The truck came with Uniroyal Tiger Paws and they really sucked IMHO. I happy with the choice I made.
Thank you all for your opinions.