LT Tires and Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigfishfin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My recent trailer/tire experience...I just purchased a new to me, 2017 Outdoor RV Creekside 21RBS trailer including an Equalizer 4 way hitch, (these trailers are known to be heavy). I had been focused on replacing my original Goodyear tires before next winter, but because of a little uncomfortable "drifting" in strong winds and when passing large trucks, I installed Falken Wildpeak AT3W LT, load range E tires. I originally pumped the tires up to the maximum 80PSI and the ride was really uncomfortable for my dentures, but the trailer just about rock steady. I have now dropped the pressure to 60PSI with the ride now comfortable and the trailer just as steady...I am happy!...

OP
OP
Meeker

Meeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When towing I run my LT in the 70s; running at 44 would seem too low. Also what WDH did you go with?
My WDH is the Blue Ox, 1000 lb bars. The trailer salesman set me up with 750 lb bars originally based on the dry tongue weight - I upgraded because my measurements were always closer to 900 lbs.

JimmyM

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I switched from P to LTs on my 11. When NOT towing the tires are set to 35. Ride was fine. First time towing my 6500lb TT with the LTs, I inflated the rears to 50psi (80psi max). HUGE improvement over the P tires with respect to how well the truck handles cross winds and passing semis. When I used to tow with the Ps, I'd inflate them to 45psi (51psi max). I also added Sumo Springs coil "spacers" in the rear. The truck doesn't squat as much now. I use an Equalizer brand WDH. I never had issues with actual sway, but a semi would push the back of my truck around. No longer.

iamretired

Reaction score
2015, I got wranger LT tires rated 80PSI, when using trailer I use 60psi, 50psi without trailer, both tire pressures feel ok, stupid tire shop always wants to lower to door tire suggestions.

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On my 2006 Silverado, LT tires made towing less bouncy than P rated tires. I think it had 18 inch rims. On my other vehicles w/ 20’s P - rated, I did not have bouncing. I think rim size has a big effect as well.

LyoddChrissmiss

Reaction score
JimmyM, how well do those sumo springs help. I do have a bit of sag when my TT is hooked up even with my blue ox wdh.
I’m thinking on the purchase

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I switched from P to LTs on my 11. When NOT towing the tires are set to 35. Ride was fine. First time towing my 6500lb TT with the LTs, I inflated the rears to 50psi (80psi max). HUGE improvement over the P tires with respect to how well the truck handles cross winds and passing semis. When I used to tow with the Ps, I'd inflate them to 45psi (51psi max). I also added Sumo Springs coil "spacers" in the rear. The truck doesn't squat as much now. I use an Equalizer brand WDH. I never had issues with actual sway, but a semi would push the back of my truck around. No longer.

I considered this upgrade, but we only tow 10 to 20 percent of our total miles. Did you notice any impact to mpg daily driving? We're usually around 15.

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had LT tires on my Pilot for towing. Loved them. Waiting to put LT tires on the Expy. Towing is good enough with the stock Hankooks, but I think could be a bit firmer with the LTs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do LT tires hurt the ride on these? I have the 22s. Will only occasionally tow, so more interested in the ride. I’ll be sticking with a highway tread and not AT types.