m1008 (mil spec chevy)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

masterhacker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So im seriously thinking about picking up a m1008 a guy I know bought one from a government auction like 2 years ago, it had been sitting for god knows how long, and he put it in his garage, where is sat. He never even got around to seeing if it started.

anyways, i was wondering if anyone had any experience with them, cause i was wondering if parts will be a problem seeing that its the mil version. I think it would be a fun vehicle to play around with, and surprisingly there is like 0 rust on it (body wise anyways, under body has typical rust)

if i remember correctly i think they rated them at 1 1/4 ton

Last edited:

SourMashII

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yes, 5/4 ton. Amazing wheeler parts, and that 6.2 Detroit wil run forever, and get 20+ mpg, if YA DON'T Turbo it. The have ?able crankshaft strength.

SOme of them are 24volts, check that out.

I would be jealous.

www.100dollarman.com he should be able to answer any questions you may have.

OP
OP
M

masterhacker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The m1008 is a pickup, the m1009 is the blazer. I think im going to buy it, sounds like a fun project. my buddy was talking like $400. only thing is hes kind of wavering on selling it. they are having a military auction in sparta wi. They have like 10 blazers and a few pickups for sale. most people buy em just to scrap them so they seldom go for over $500, plus there is the whole crap shoot of whether or not they will run

Last edited:

dougmcp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd go to the auction in Sparta, look them over and maybe get one of those for a good price. If the auction falls through then you can deal on your buddies truck.

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had several of both as an Army maintenance officer, when they first came in - they replaced all our jeeps and the ancient dodge pickups we had. FWIW, rarely had a lick of trouble out of 'em (course, they were brand new) and we drove the crap out of them all over the mojave and europe. i once got one to pull-start a dead 2 1/2 ton truck. I seem to remember they were low on horsepower but had enough torque to move the Rocky Mountains east a few miles.
they rode like trucks... or maybe more like a rockslide. it was a rough ride, but I guess that goes with a 1 1/4 ton suspension. they only had two drawbacks as far as I can remember; first they had no air conditioning. If I had one, that's the first thing I'd do even if i had to install an RV AC on the roof. the other is that the pickup had just a regular cab, so that's an issue. basically, they're the toughest 4 wheelers GM ever built in my experience. And they were great 4x4s. they wouldn't go everywhere a HMMWV would go, but they didn't miss it by much.