Major EcoBoost Motor Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pete6114

Reaction score
I'm reaching for straws here, but I'm wondering if the Oil filter is just below that. If so, the rubber ring from the old filter might not have come off and the new filter was installed causing a small leak and dripping on a hot surface.

Pete6114

Reaction score
Wow, hope they know people looking to spend 70-100k on a vehicle read this stuff. And are more inclined to just keep what they have.
You're onto something here. I'm on my 27th Ford ( i trade every 2-3 years) and had more than my share of problems with new vehicles. Matter of fact, i haven't had any totally problem free ones, where i only returned to the dealer for oil-changes. Except for my Wife's 2017 Explorer. It's been very good so far, so good, that we decided to keep it and just got extended warranty. My 2 week old Expedition is a classic Ford and has it's problems right out the Gate. If i wasn't a Ford retiree with A-Z-Plan benefit, i likely would have jumped off the Ford Bus years ago and tried other brands.

stricnine

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You're onto something here. I'm on my 27th Ford ( i trade every 2-3 years) and had more than my share of problems with new vehicles. Matter of fact, i haven't had any totally problem free ones, where i only returned to the dealer for oil-changes. Except for my Wife's 2017 Explorer. It's been very good so far, so good, that we decided to keep it and just got extended warranty. My 2 week old Expedition is a classic Ford and has it's problems right out the Gate. If i wasn't a Ford retiree with A-Z-Plan benefit, i likely would have jumped off the Ford Bus years ago and tried other brands.

and you would find those issues with the other brands. Been there done that. lol

todadamson

Reaction score
It looks like oil on the exhaust manifold. Once I sprayed GUNK engine cleaner on an engine and it looked like your video. Did you check the oil by looking at the dip stick? Check the transmission oil too. I bought a shop manual on eBay and I am going to burn a copy for my local mechanic so I don't have to go to the dealer for the simple stuff.

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lemon law is bad for consumers in SC. It’s under power train for 40,000 more miles but I’m scared to own this thing past that, and not only that, but the dealer has refused to give me a loaner while they repair whatever the hell is going on here. The whole thing has soured me on Ford. Doesn’t seem like their technicians have a clue how to work on these things or they don’t give a shit.

Get a lemon law lawyer to write a letter to Ford. See what happens.

While you’re waiting post that video to Ford’s Facebook page with explanation. Ford may be stupid enough to screw one individual who’s spending $70-100k on a vehicle, but they’re not stupid enough to do it under public view.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kjf1

Reaction score
This should be easy for a good dealer.
Clean the engine, change oil & add oil dye. Run engine on a hoist and use a black light to see where the oil is coming from.

Proud Okie

Reaction score
I can guarantee you have as much a dealer problem, as you do a mechanical one. When I've had problems, in the past, my dealer went to bat for me. Loaner, no problem. They had to request outside help but got the problem fixed.

MonkeyBrains

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I second the suggestion of a lawyer versed in your local lemon laws. And get Ford corporate involved. I’ve been through a lemon ordeal with Ford and their corporate people want customers to be happy and will override a dealership’s “authority” in the matter. When push comes to shove, they don’t want a lemon law claim. And usually a reasonable demand of “you get one more chance to fix it 100% or you give me a new vehicle” is all it takes when directed to the right people, as long as all the other requirements for a lemon law claim are met.

I find it’s also exceptionally helpful in situations like this to have a sit down with a service manager and hopefully a service technician as well and let them explain, in detail, what all the issues are with the vehicle and how they are going to fix them. All too often these are not really serious issues, but overloaded service departments don’t take the time to properly diagnose and repair as they should. They do a quick patch-job of a fix to address the first symptom they see without actually determining the cause and proper solution. And this is also how minor issues can turn into major problems if not properly addressed.

It’s also ridiculous they won’t give you a loaner for something that keeps going back to the shop. In fact, they are setting themselves up for a lemon law claim by not providing that loaner. I can’t say about SC for certain, but of the states I am familiar with, once a vehicle is out of commission (or in the shop for repair) for 30 days or more and no reasonable substitute is provided, it’s automatically a lemon.

S Mathieson

Reaction score
Good Luck Trying to get a new unit out of Ford ! In addition to my 18 Expy. I have 19 F150 LTD. Its been in the ford shop Zender Ford in Alberta since its had 3000 miles on it for numerous issues, Still not right? I have asked for a new vehicle from Ford and the Zender dealership No luck! and get this !! I got $4000.00 hail damage to it while it was on their lot !! and its my insurance that needs to kick in !! SOB