Major EcoBoost Motor Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Atticus Mabrry

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So ever since Ford did the work on the engine rattle at startup, the motor has smoked something awful. Well it went back in for more work to supposedly fix it...on my way home the check engine light comes on again and it starts billowing smoke from under the hood. Anyone have any ideas of what to do at this point!? It's been to three dealers by now and not a single one seems to know what they are doing with these motors.

It's basically not drivable because the cab fills up with smoke...

Honorebel

Reaction score
Do they still have LEMON LAWS..if so..this sounds like a good example of a LEMON..I'd contact CORPORATE and let them know that it would be in THEIR BEST INTEREST to either replace the MOTOR OUTRIGHT..or..SWAP U OUT ALTOGETHER for another Expy..if not..then they deal with the REPERCUSSIONS that the negative publicity will bring..I'M on my 5th Expy..On my first 1..an 04..the tranny went 500 miles outta warranty..The salesman had put 550 on it before i got it.They told me 9k to fix it..I told them keep it..I'll go buy a Denali..An hour later they called me back and said $500..Nuff said..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine smoked just like that in my F-150 after an oil change. The tech/kid filling it spilled more oil on the engine than in it. There is so many places for it to go it smokes forever and smelled of burn oil for 5K miles. Dealer tried to clean it up with very little luck. I hope that is all that is wrong with yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Atticus Mabrry

Atticus Mabrry

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Lemon law is bad for consumers in SC. It’s under power train for 40,000 more miles but I’m scared to own this thing past that, and not only that, but the dealer has refused to give me a loaner while they repair whatever the hell is going on here. The whole thing has soured me on Ford. Doesn’t seem like their technicians have a clue how to work on these things or they don’t give a shit.

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow, hope they know people looking to spend 70-100k on a vehicle read this stuff. And are more inclined to just keep what they have.

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Changing cam phasers really needs a highly trained technician. I hope it is just a gasket but the fact that there is an engine light indicates more trouble.

At this stage you should Get Ford involved and may be request engine replacement!

Honorebel

Reaction score
At this point..the ONLY thing that has ALWAYS irritated me was not being able to DISABLE the 2nd row audio controls in the EXPYs..i wish i could just rip them out..DONT TOUCH THE RADIO IF YOU'RE A PASSENGER..OK..I'M SELFISH..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Where's it coming from? Oil leak form valve cover or front timing cover??
Sounds like they need to inspect it and reseal it.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What the crap this is insane, such a lemon. Possible they severely overfilled oil? Leaky valve cover? Time to yank that turd and replace with a super duty V8 that won’t clatter itself to death.

Last edited: