Manual calls for 87 Octane

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

parrotplayswing

Reaction score
I just purchased an 07 Exp. EB and the manuel calls for 87 octane. the manuel mentions that you will hear the engine knock, but that it is normal. What do you guys put in your fuel tank? Also, I have used mircle oil every other fill up in my tank and oil change? Miricle oil supposedly extends the life of the engine. Any one have experience using miricle oil.

ezeq

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just used a regular gas

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

GaryH2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With a 33 gallon tank (EL), I have always used regular with an occasional bottle of Techron fuel system cleaner at oil changes. No issues at 140k.

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
The only vehicle (besides my Ducati) that I've used premium fuel in was my Scout II. It had a completely built Dodge 440 in it that would ping on regular 87 octane.
With the exception of high compression or forced induction motors, modern computer controlled vehicles really don't benefit from the higher octane fuels.
That, however, doesn't stop the oil companies from marketing it to people who don't know any better.

montecarlo31

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The only vehicle (besides my Ducati) that I've used premium fuel in was my Scout II. It had a completely built Dodge 440 in it that would ping on regular 87 octane.
With the exception of high compression or forced induction motors, modern computer controlled vehicles really don't benefit from the higher octane fuels.
That, however, doesn't stop the oil companies from marketing it to people who don't know any better.

However you can make more power on 93. The 5.4 doesn't show this as much as the 5.0. Running premium in the 5.0 has shown decent power gains for such a cheap input.

I run E85 or premium in mine depending on what is available. Fuel is free so it really does not matter to me.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
87 oct...if you want to use higher...89...91...93 go ahead

metaldrgn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I couldn't find any good technical documents on it, but I've looked it up in the past.

The biggest and really only reason you would want to use a higher octane is if you had a constant "knocking" or "pinging". If you rebuild an engine with a higher compression ratio or made enough modifications like installing a custom cam, you may need to raise it. Higher octanes burn slower too so if you actually used a higher octane when you didn't need to you would just be wasting your money. Any other benefit is insignificant.

Your vehicle is equipped with knock sensors and it uses them to stay on the verge of knocking, not by detonation, but by igniting the fuel to early. It is a self adjusting system.

Just stick with 87

Last edited:

montecarlo31

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your vehicle is equipped with knock sensors and it uses them to stay on the verge of knocking, not by detonation, but by igniting the fuel to early. It is a self adjusting system.

Can you explain this please?