Manual gear selection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matticus

Reaction score
Just had a rebuilt engine put in my 2012 Ford expedition. Trans only has 60,000 miles on it. I noticed that now, when I put the the trans manually into "3", it stays in 3rd no matter what. Whether I'm at a complete stop or mash on the gas pedal, it will not down shift.

I need a sanity check - it should still downshift even when manually put in one of the lower gears, right? If it's in 3 or 2, that's just supposed to be the HIGHEST gear it will drive in, not just permanently supposed to stay in that gear? I'm trying to figure out if the guy that did the engine install did something wrong and/or something needs to be reprogrammed

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No if you put it into 3rd you are manually locking into that gear. It is no longer acting as an automatic.

OP
OP
Matticus

Matticus

Reaction score
Interesting...I thought for sure every vehicle I've ever owned, including this one, would still downshift. I know my minivan does