Max fording depth/wading depth?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AAOO

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does anyone know the max depth of water we can plow through without damaging anything? 4x4 Platinum all stock.

dj2big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Usually if the water touched the computer insurance consider it totaled

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Owners manual says wheel hubs due to transmission wiring. I know at least one member who has exceeded that without any apparent electrical problems. Keep in mind the axle/differential vents are not ported, so if you get water up to/above the differentials you'll want to replace the fluids.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just remember once you get water in everything and it sits in some place it shouldn't, it creates rust and CV joints, and stuff hate rust......

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Owners manual says wheel hubs due to transmission wiring. I know at least one member who has exceeded that without any apparent electrical problems. Keep in mind the axle/differential vents are not ported, so if you get water up to/above the differentials you'll want to replace the fluids.
I think I may be that other member...I have gone through water up to about 3/4 way up the wheel. That was 15k miles ago and all is still well.

(Results may vary...haha)

OP
OP
A

AAOO

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So about 10"-12"? I wonder where the front and rear diff vent tubes terminate. I would assume the trans vent would be the lowest on top of the trans case.

OP
OP
A

AAOO

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There are no vent tubes!

I should have read your first post better. Wow, thought it would have tubes like the F-150. This could cause some issues at a few shallow grade boat ramps I've used in the past.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I haven't looked to verify, but that's strongly implied by the owners manual which states: "When driving through water, determine the depth and avoid water higher than the bottom of the hubs." and "Before driving through standing water, check the depth. Never drive through water that is higher than the bottom of the wheel hubs"

And "The rear axle is filled with synthetic rear axle lubricant, and it is considered lubricated
for life. Do not check or change the lubricant unless you suspect a leak or submerge the
axle in water." Which is another way of saying "we didn't port the vents, so you'll get water in your differentials if you submerge them).

That said, parts.ford.com does list a rear axle vent assembly and front axle vent assembly. So now I'm going to have to crawl under mine when I get the chance...