May be GEM module but i saw a post stating 2003 Expeditions dont have GEM module. Probably why I couldn’t find one on EBay.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JCM305

Reaction score
Need help. My 2003 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer Edition 5.4 V8 started showing one slight electrical problem 2 weeks ago. My driver automatically retracts when key comes out of ignition and goes to desired position when key is out in. No biggie the electrical side button moves seat so am ok with that. Then normally when key comes out radio would automatically turn off and that started a few days ago. Now my automatic lights don’t go on at dusk and normally when I open doors with key fob the interior lights would go on now it doesn’t? Anyone have any idea what to check?

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like the easy exit seat feature working as it should. It's a setting you can disable.

Does the radio no longer get shut down on key removal and a door open?

Does the light switch work normally...as in just auto lights are non functional?

There is not a GEM but an SJB (Smart Junction Box) in the passenger kick that likes to cause all sorts of issues when it fails. They are also prone to moisture damage due to leaks around the windshield you have to pull it out to check for signs of water intrusion though it's not terribly difficult.

OP
OP
J

JCM305

Reaction score
Thanks so much your so correct about water leak because on passenger side there is a water leak when it rains and I’ve try to deal around drainage areas of front windshield and still there’s a leak. So yes probably is wgat yiur eating. I’ll check! Thank you

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you have water leaking over there I'd assume that's what's going on, would be to coincidental not to be. Obviously diagnose before throwing parts at it but Id focus my efforts there.

If you end up replacing the sjb they are specific to models...part numbers must be a match.There are several threads around w details.

Trying to figure out what is going on with the lights and radio are probably 2nd on the list as you have no idea if they are related to the other until you see the damage if any in the sjb. I don't know whether the light sensor on the dash runs through that or not...my guess is probably.

When you open a door or the hatch are there any door ajar messages in the info center?

OP
OP
J

JCM305

Reaction score
Thanks I’ll check tomorrow on messages of door ir hatch open on info center. Probably not because even my back up sensor is out. As soon as I put it in reverse it’ll start to beep; maybe, once but it’s all got affected days of each other. No automatic lights, etc