Melling 340HV/360HV uncertainty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TORNIT07

Reaction score
So I purchased the 360HV first. This was based on FordTechMakuloco's recommendation on the youtube. When I purchased off Amazon it was indicated that it did NOT fit my vehicle the 2007 Expy EL with 5.4 3 valve Triton. The main difference being (best I can ascertain through several hours of online research) in the relief spring. The 360HV has 80 PSI relief and the 340HV a 60 PSI pressure relief.

Now, 60 PSI is the STOCK relief pressure. 80 PSI is apparently meant for the 4-valve/high performance applications of this design motor. I believe BOTH pumps (340HV/360HV) have 20% more output, with the only difference in the pressure relief spring.

So, I returned the 360HV and purchased the 340HV instead. HOWEVER, I still question whether I should go ahead & use a 360HV based on FordTechMakulo's advice as I have a lot of faith in his knowledge/abilities. I sent an email inquiry directly to the folks at Melling over a week ago. I have received no reply to date.

It's getting close to show time, a couple more weeks to make sure my recent cataract surgery has fully healed & I have to tackle this job. I need some clarity & any input is greatly appreciated.

JimmyM

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't know why the spring being different has anything to do with it. My 2011 (all stock) with ~140k on it can easily build over 60PSI of pressure depending on RPM. When the motor starts up cold, it hits 90 PSI, no problem (0W-40 synthetic oil) on a summer morning. When first driving, the pressure is routinely over 60PSI.
Also, when the oil is at 190-200F it idles with A/C on at ~25 PSI
They are the exact same pump with a higher relief pressure spring. I'd use the 360HV if it were me. But it's up to you.

OP
OP
T

TORNIT07

Reaction score
Why are you fitting an aftermarket oil pump? (Just curious.)

-- Chuck
I'm doing the complete timing job including new lifters & followers. ALL the parts I bought are OEM/Ford except the oil pump. From what I can gather is that the Ford oil pumps are not reliable in that they tend to bleed oil out the back plate (due to the plate flexing around the edges)when turning above 2000 RPM. This in turn contributes to poor VCT/phaser performance as well as valve train lubrication issues.

Ford may have fixed this issue by now. IDK. The Melling 340HV/360HV don't have this issue due to a strong steel back plate. The Melling HV's deliver 20% more oil in volume than stock which in turn helps solve oil delivery issues under load without back plate bleed off as well as keeping an adequate supply of oil to all points throughout. The Melling pump also solves issues related to oil pressure in the VCT/timing components.

OP
OP
T

TORNIT07

Reaction score
I don't know why the spring being different has anything to do with it. My 2011 (all stock) with ~140k on it can easily build over 60PSI of pressure depending on RPM. When the motor starts up cold, it hits 90 PSI, no problem (0W-40 synthetic oil) on a summer morning. When first driving, the pressure is routinely over 60PSI.
Also, when the oil is at 190-200F it idles with A/C on at ~25 PSI
They are the exact same pump with a higher relief pressure spring. I'd use the 360HV if it were me. But it's up to you.

Hmmm. Food for thought. I am half way considering going with the 360HV afterall.

JimmyM

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If FordTechMakuloco recommends the 360HV, I'd have no problem following his recommendation. He knows WAY more about the Triton than I do.

OP
OP
T

TORNIT07

Reaction score
Try calling Melling on the phone...

Why didn't I think of that?!:Stupid Me:

So, I did. Here is what I learned:

The 340HV IS for my application with a 60 PSI relief spring. The 360HV is for the 4-valve applications because those "have a higher red-line" hence the extra pressure. BOTH pumps put out 20% more oil by volume than stock.

While the 360HV will fit the 3-valve applications, it is not necessary nor advised per the Melling tech. So, I found my answer. Melling 340HV is the proper pump. :happy107:

JimmyM

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Alrighty. Right from the horse's mouth. Maybe post something on Makuloco's page since he's recommending the 360HV for the 3Vs.