Melling M360HV Clearance issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WrenchinBrit

Reaction score
Guys
I’m doing a timing job on my 14 Expi EL 5.43v
When checking over the new chain routing (drivers side) before pulling the pin on the new tensioner I noticed how tight the gap is between the chain on the crank gear and the pump body (it’s tight!) if I pushed on the chain it would touch the casing.. I was pretty concerned … would a little lash cause it to rub on the oil pump?
I stripped off the chain gear and loosened the pump to make sure that it was seated properly on the block .. it was, I compared the old crank gear to the new. Identical.
It almost looks like it needs a thrust washer.
Q. Is the M360HV thicker than the standard pump ? Is it always that tight ?
I looked at Maluku’s video and it’s difficult to see a reference for the depth.
Anyone come across this?
Picture is obviously without the crank gear and chain fitted.

Attachments

• DD6EC9B7-BB79-4B36-A8A2-EAEA77026897.jpeg
    DD6EC9B7-BB79-4B36-A8A2-EAEA77026897.jpeg
    236.8 KB · Views: 18

twodollars

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I replaced my stock ford pump with a 340hv last week, along with timing set and followers. Adding anything in between the crank sprocket and its perch on the crank would move the chains into an angle as opposed to the tensioners and cam sprockets. Those pieces need to be in the same plane with each other. I agree the chains look close to the pump. Mine fired up fine, no issue other than my valve train is quiet now.

Dustin Gebhardt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't recall having any clearance issues when I installed my 360HV 2 years ago, but I do recall that the oil pump was a bit of a tough nut to get full flat against the face of the block. I had to readjust the gears several times before I could get it close enough and then rotate the pump for it's final home location.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65