Michelin Premier LTX DT vs Defender LTX M/S

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I feel you on the nails. Why I replaced all 4. I had 3 nails in 6 months, all in non repairable areas. I don’t know that I can blame the tire, but I was just driving on city streets, no construction or other areas I would expect to pick up a mail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well, once again they cant patch the Hankooks. This will now be my 4th replacement in 3 years. Just told them to mount a crap tire to run for a couple months until the Defenders come out. Discount Tire said they will give me some credit for the 2 month old tire when I come back in for the full new set.

sixstring

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had a 15 plat EL with 22's and went though three sets of the the pirelli verde all season plus ii.

I thought they were a great tire (snow, rain and dry) and I am going to put them on my 20 plat when the hankooks start to wear out. I don't like the factory hankooks.

Those pirellis rode like a caddy up to 100mph.

I did have a very good tire shop do the balancing.

After writing this I might even just get the pirellis now and I only have 5k on the hankooks.

I just put on a new set of Pirelli Verde All Season Plus on the 20 plat and as expected, they are noticeably smoother and quieter than the Hankooks from the factory.

Now I need to sell the 4 Hankook 285/45-22 with 5k miles near sarasota.

I had the pirellis on another expy and loved then as well.

Hankooks were ok and there is nothing wrong with them, just wanted something smoother.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only way to still get LTX M/S2 is if you have an 18” wheel. If you have 20” rims you need the other two being premier or defender, if you have 18” rims you need LTX M/S2. It gets sort of confusing I’m not sure why Michelin doesn’t want to make a defender for the 18” wheels.

Last edited:

FlyBry

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Very nice, thanks for the update. If only my Hancooks were not so new.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Discount Tire ordered me a set of the 22" Defender 114H's. Just had them mounted today and I am so glad the trash Hankooks are gone. In the 3 years since I bought the vehicle, those Hankooks picked up 8 nails/screws, 4 of which were not repairable. That's more than in my previous 20 years of driving, combined.

For what it's worth, the guy at Discount said he has had really bad experiences with the Michelin Premieres. A lot of them come back, and he's yet to see any reach their mileage. But he loves the Defenders and strongly recommends them. And he wasn't trying to sell me one way or the other as they were the same price and I already told him I was buying.

Attachments

• LTX.jpg
    LTX.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 32
OP
OP
hellohithere

hellohithere

Reaction score
Discount Tire ordered me a set of the 22" Defender 114H's. Just had them mounted today and I am so glad the trash Hankooks are gone. In the 3 years since I bought the vehicle, those Hankooks picked up 8 nails/screws, 4 of which were not repairable. That's more than in my previous 20 years of driving, combined.

For what it's worth, the guy at Discount said he has had really bad experiences with the Michelin Premieres. A lot of them come back, and he's yet to see any reach their mileage. But he loves the Defenders and strongly recommends them. And he wasn't trying to sell me one way or the other as they were the same price and I already told him I was buying.

How is the ride quality? What are your thoughts? I wonder if we are able to trade-in the Hankooks for any value.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How is the ride quality? What are your thoughts? I wonder if we are able to trade-in the Hankooks for any value.
In the 30 minutes I drove on them from the Discount Tire back to my office, I was pleased. They seemed quieter and smoother than the Hankooks. That said, I knew I wanted to wait for these Defenders 2 months ago when I got my latest unrepairable nail so I had Discount mount some crap Sentury tire in the interim. The road noise and vibration I felt/heard on the way to the shop this morning could have been from that lone Sentury.

As far as credit goes, it's certainly worth an ask. I got $75 back from them for the Sentury, although it was only 2 months old.

bill_b

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Glad I found this thread. I can't wait to get rid of the Hankooks that came on my LTD, I have about 25k on them max and they are getting close to the wear bars... might be able to finish the summer on them. This is with regular 5k mile rotations.

Is anyone else noticing major cupping on their tires? At 35k miles id be surprised if I'm that far out of alignment. Kinda wondering if this is an issue because of the IRS.

Jamaican Cruiser

Reaction score
I decided to go with a very quiet ride and chose the Pirelli SCORPION VERDE™ ALL SEASON PLUS II.

I really love them, especially since I do a lot of long distance trips. Great handling in wet and dry with fabulous breaking.